Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
However, I'm not a fan of the Bolt because I think it's a bit small and I'm not a fan of the Roam because it's overpriced for what it does and it has too many bells and whistles for me.
I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that there is no ideal GPS doohickey. I can get a whole bike I can customise precisely to my various needs, but one little navigation device ... nope!
I wonder how much more complex (and frustrating) it is conducting research for such things in a country where you're not working in your primary language?
I should also add that the Elemnt has been acting up, generally too. Not reloading an existing ride when switched off and even totally freezing one day - it's never done that. This is all happening after a three month layoff. I'm not an electronics expert but I can't help but see a connection.
Perhaps not being able to 'see the connection' is the problem? ;)
The nerve centre! Tidied especially for the photo ^_^
img_20200712_094303-jpg.jpg
Mission Control!

Houston, we have a problem.
Copy that Hobbes. What is the nature of the problem?
It's a memory cache issue Houston. Insufficient for a four digit numeral.

Glad to see that Mexico, like so many other places, hasn't grasped the concept of electrical sockets at a useful height ... or maybe there's a cunning use case scenario I haven't identified.

Maybe I'm biased but I think it a pity that you went for more wahoo after your troubles hobbes. I'd have gone maybe a bit backwards in tech (not always bad) and gone for something like an etrex 20/x. AA batteries so no way will the batteries compromise the life of the thing. Normal AAs. Or rechargeables, easy to recharge from mains on stops. You can also charge AAs from a cheapo thing Ikea (and doubtless others) sell plugged into a powerbank. That charged of course from your dynamo.

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that there is no ideal GPS doohickey. I can get a whole bike I can customise precisely to my various needs, but one little navigation device ... nope!

You're absolutely right about that. I'd say to anyone thinking about a unit to have a really goid think about what they want before they go looking. Once you start looking you're overwhelmed with sales talk and "must haves".
I wonder how much more complex (and frustrating) it is conducting research for such things in a country where you're not working in your primary language?
Surprisingly not, thanks to the internet. Specs, reviews etc. are available everywhere. I just need to be careful of import duties and availability of any necessary accesories. For something like a gps unit what maps are included is important too (thinking specifically of Garmin here).
Perhaps not being able to 'see the connection' is the problem? ;)
Sorry - not seeing the connection here either :laugh:
Mission Control!

Houston, we have a problem.
Copy that Hobbes. What is the nature of the problem?
It's a memory cache issue Houston. Insufficient for a four digit numeral.
^_^
Glad to see that Mexico, like so many other places, hasn't grasped the concept of electrical sockets at a useful height ... or maybe there's a cunning use case scenario I haven't identified.
The things people notice! ^_^

Maybe I'm biased but I think it a pity that you went for more wahoo after your troubles hobbes. I'd have gone maybe a bit backwards in tech (not always bad) and gone for something like an etrex 20/x. AA batteries so no way will the batteries compromise the life of the thing. Normal AAs. Or rechargeables, easy to recharge from mains on stops. You can also charge AAs from a cheapo thing Ikea (and doubtless others) sell plugged into a powerbank. That charged of course from your dynamo.
I think you're forgetting that I only have my phone to work with, increasing the complexity of interacting with the unit significantly.
Other than this battery failure and one time at home when I unwittingly tried to use the unit while it was updating, the Elemnt has been a dream. It's connectivity with the likes of Komoot is not to be underestimated on the road. (Not to be read as an endorseme of Komoot - its not, but it is handy in cities). I wouldn't like anyone to think I've "had troubles" with Wahoo. I've had one issue (not an uncommon one in electronics) and it has been rectified to my satisfaction.
As things stand I can create or "borrow" a route thousands of km long and put it straight onto the unit. I'm not sure I can do that with the different etrex units.
As I mentioned, I've read of too many issues with memory cards. The one in my phone has been corrupted. The logistics of trying to sort that out on the road is not a pleasant thought.
Yes, the battery is the weak point (like all electronics) but I'm covered now for a year at least, in the event of any further problems.
Trying to get a handle on what maps I would need for the Garmin was not easy (complicated by the fact that I have no idea where I will be going next) and would involve extra expense or a lot of effort (have I mentioned I only have a phone^_^).

Garmin customer service is not the best in my experience (I had a "touring" unit that crashed more times on one ride than my Elemnt in three years.)

There are other issues as well. I'd need a special mount for an etrex, a completely new bit of kit that can't be tested in a rough environment until I'm in that environment. Available here, but not easy to get. My current mount (and the spare I carry) will work for the new unit and I have more spares! ^_^Plus, I know it works - even over the rough stuff.
Then there's a different cable needed for the unit.
There's too many "new" things to deal with on the road in a strange part of the world.
Finally, to reiterate, the killer thing for me is the ease of syncing to strava. Currently, an internet connection is all I need to quickly upload the day's ride to Strava. that's not so easy on an etrex.
Oh, the price! Wahoo gave me a hefty discount on the price of either unit and while a bit more expensive than an etrex it meant that price wasn't an issue in the decision- not usual for me.

Another time in another place an etrex may well do a good job.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Another captivating post sir; I can see why you seem to be increasingly enchanted with your adopted country of refuge. 'People over rules' ... or reminders of Marissa Tomei perhaps? ;)

Your seismic experience sounds to have been unnderstandably unsettling, and yet somewhat reassuring, if only in the aftermath. I guess if you live with the continual threat, you become respectful of the potential for harm, but intent on not being cowed by it - know thine enemy I suppose. Here in the UK, perhaps through lack of practice, we invariably seem inadequately prepared for calamitous events. When I was in NZ staying in an AirBnB, I was watching the news on the TV with my host when an article came on about the potential for disruption to water supplies during times of crisis - can't remember whether it was earthquake, volcano or drought. He calmly said he hadn't thought about that, then went down to his garage and filled up several multi-gallon containers ... just in case. All very matter of fact; preparedness is just what you do there.

Stay safe. And watch out for those illicit, gangsta gas vendors :whistle:

cwskas

Über Member
I have very, very short hair now……. and a brand spanking new baseball cap! 😄

I can relate to that. Many years ago I attempted to cut my wife's beautiful, almost to her waist hair (at her request) thinking 'how hard can it be?' By the time I had about 3 inches off the back and still not straight, she was not a happy woman and had called one of her friends to salvage the job. It was never spoken of again!!!

I enjoyed your translations of dog thoughts and intentions.

Willie

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I had a similar situation with my eldest daughter a few weeks ago.
I warned her it would go well but she insisted because all the hairdressers were closed due to covid.
I tried. I really did. But I eventually gave in and phoned my other half to come to the rescue. Thankfully it wasn't a complete disaster.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
I'm one of those people that thinks dogs can smile
I agree. How could the pooches on this page be doing anything other than smiling?

I can buy action hero masks, scary masks, traditional style artisanal masks (the most wonderful, bright colours) as well as a variety of medical style masks. I can buy them in pharmacies or from any number of sellers on the street.
Or a Hobbesian version?
TigerFaceMask_grande.jpg
No, wait. Given the hair situation, maybe you might be better off with ... ;)

Top Bottom