chater-lea pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
my fixed project (see link in sig) has a nice pair of chater-lea pedals complete with toe clip.

at first i was determined not to ride it with anything other than looks, but the chater-lea pedals are so much more in keeping with the bike. so, i put the cl pedals on my regular road bike, took it out and spun the pedals like no-one's business in the granny gear to see what my feet would do.

my feet stayed on the pedals, so maybe i'll just keep them.

anyone with experience of fixed riding got anything to add?

cheers in advance

Landslide

Rare Migrant
I've recently put clips + straps on my fixed (for the convenience of riding in trainers).
Having previously used SPDs, it's slightly more faffy to engage the pedal, and doesn't feel so secure when pulling up against the pedals under braking, but it's certainly nothing I can't live with.
Given the period gorgeousness of your new project, I'd say keep the CL pedals.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
When struggling up a steep hill you won't be able to pull on your foot properly with clips & straps unless you also fit shoeplates. If you fit shoeplates, you can't get your foot out unless you've reached down to loosen the strap first.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
mickle said:
I'd be reluctant to use a pair of CL pedals on a regular basis, they're too rare and lovely. A pair of MKS 'rat-traps' with Christophe clips would look the part.

don't worry, that bike is destined for being my 'best bike' which will see action on dry, sunny, flat summer club runs.

once i actually get the bike in a roadworthy condition (needs expensive tubs and also a front brake), i'll try it out with both look and spd pedals too.

Top Bottom