Cheap skiing. I have a First World Problem. Please help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Do any of you good people who clip themselves into expensive planks (as well as pedals) have some crafty tips?
My "problem" is this...
I have been offered a free bed for a week in an apartment in Tignes in the first week in April, but I have to get there and back from London. The flight prices for those dates are bonkers. Going by train isn't entirely practical as I'll be carrying skis, boots, and all the rest and a transfer across Paris could be a bit of a challenge.
I don't really have to travel on that weekend. A few days either side would be fine. The airline fares come down quite a lot mid-week . The price of an eight day Espace Killy ski pass compared to a six day one is pretty trivial compared to the rest of it.
My "cunning plan" is to book into a very, very last minute cheap package deal , use the transport, transfer and (possibly) ski pass bargain, and then stay with my friends.
Can you point me in the direction of operators who heavily discount their package prices at the last minute? All alternative suggestions are most welcome.

Thank you.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
At the risk of being off-message given the forum, you could drive if you've an extra day or two.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
At the risk of being off-message given the forum, you could drive if you've an extra day or two.
Thanks for the suggestion Prof, but I think that the cost would be ruinous. Tunnel fares and Autoroute tolls are pretty steep. Car parking at the other end would be north of at least £100 too. Besides, the banger would probably break down on the journey and I don't need the aggravation of continental motor insurance and all that. Best wishes.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Thanks for the suggestion Prof, but I think that the cost would be ruinous. Tunnel fares and Autoroute tolls are pretty steep. Car parking at the other end would be north of at least £100 too. Besides, the banger would probably break down on the journey and I don't need the aggravation of continental motor insurance and all that. Best wishes.

I assumed a gang of you going out, but just 1 in a car would indeed be costly

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I assumed a gang of you going out, but just 1 in a car would indeed be costly
My pals will be there anyway. All I have to do is get there, tout seul, to join them. It seems impossible to find a single cheap bed for a night or two either side of a weekend unless you go bonkers at some extremely expensive hotel. Tagging on to a really cheap last minute package seems my best bet but I'm flexible. Thank you.

gavintc

Guru
I dont want to pour water on your 'cheap' ski holiday, but in my experience, the bed is not the ruinous cost. Ski hire, Lift tickets, meals on the mountain, the supermarket prices all add up to a pretty horrid cost. We keep saying; we will go next year, but when we add up the costs, we just cannot justify it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
DO NOT forget insurance.

All the ski operators are offering deals at the moment but they usually use charter flights on Saturdays. The logical alternative is Sleazyjet to Geneva; they have about five flights a day I think. There are loads of people who do airport to resort transfers, just look at the banners advertising their services on ski websites. At Geneva airport they have even been given their own small desk in the arrivals hall.

You could take a train into Geneva (station under the airport) then transfer to trains and buses to Tignes but that's going to take you all day.

Once again, do not neglect your ski insurance. If you do suffer an accident, a Carte Neige can be bought along with your lift pass and insures you for slope rescue to the point of entry into the resort clinic. Your own insurance will also cover these expenses, it's just that you have to pay then reclaim.

You can mitigate the cost of mountain food by buying sandwiches in the resort and carrying them in a small rucsac, a sandwich jambon fromage is 7 Euros this year.

Have fun!

U

User482

Do any of you good people who clip themselves into expensive planks (as well as pedals) have some crafty tips?
My "problem" is this...
I have been offered a free bed for a week in an apartment in Tignes in the first week in April, but I have to get there and back from London. The flight prices for those dates are bonkers. Going by train isn't entirely practical as I'll be carrying skis, boots, and all the rest and a transfer across Paris could be a bit of a challenge.
I don't really have to travel on that weekend. A few days either side would be fine. The airline fares come down quite a lot mid-week . The price of an eight day Espace Killy ski pass compared to a six day one is pretty trivial compared to the rest of it.
My "cunning plan" is to book into a very, very last minute cheap package deal , use the transport, transfer and (possibly) ski pass bargain, and then stay with my friends.
Can you point me in the direction of operators who heavily discount their package prices at the last minute? All alternative suggestions are most welcome.

Thank you.

I've done the train to the Alps a couple of times (Les Arcs and Annecy). As you say, transferring across Paris with all your kit is a bit of a pain, but it looks like there are some direct trains on the Eurostar, or you could take a taxi from Gare du Nord to make transporting luggage easier.

Try http://www.seat61.com/ski-by-train.htm#Skiing in the French Alps by train

I drove overnight to Alpe d'Huez in 2013 but I wouldn't recommend it solo: best to swap drivers every couple of hours so you stay alert. That said, the tunnel was brilliant - check-in very close to departure and they'll book you onto an earlier train for free, if space permits.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I dont want to pour water on your 'cheap' ski holiday, but in my experience, the bed is not the ruinous cost. Ski hire, Lift tickets, meals on the mountain, the supermarket prices all add up to a pretty horrid cost. We keep saying; we will go next year, but when we add up the costs, we just cannot justify it.
I'm painfully aware of the cost of all that. It's absolutely eye-watering. I'm also aware of the fact that I'm not going to live forever.

Top Bottom