Cheap Vs Expensive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I don't regret buying the things I have, but I do question my sanity sometimes..:eek:

I bought a really good quality exercise bike (Reebok B5.8e) a couple of years ago and, have to admit, I do regret buying it. I really don't enjoy exercising indoors at all so it hardly gets used. Give me the outdoors any time.

GrasB

Veteran
I bought a really good quality exercise bike (Reebok B5.8e) a couple of years ago and, have to admit, I do regret buying it. I really don't enjoy exercising indoors at all so it hardly gets used. Give me the outdoors any time.
You regret buying something you don't use, you don't regret the fact that it's a high quality item. A subtle but significant difference ;)

Mo1959

Legendary Member
You regret buying something you don't use, you don't regret the fact that it's a high quality item. A subtle but significant difference ;)

Yes, that's true I suppose. Worst of it is that you never get anything like what they are worth if you try and sell them. I suppose if we happen to get a really atrocious winter it is there for use.

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Looking at some bikes £800-£100 and most have compact 50/34, is this the norm? I want somthing that has 52+ for some serious decent speed.

Would you have to alter the gears yourself?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Unless you're a pro or a very fit amateur I doubt whether you would use a 52 -11 for more than a few minutes on any ride. I'm usually in the top third of my age group when I undertake anything competitive but I can't sustain riding even in 50 -11 solo for more than a few minutes on the flat because of the wind resistance at that speed. Obviously with a tow or a following wind or a hill I could manage a 52 but only briefly and as long as the conditions allowed.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Looking at some bikes £800-£100 and most have compact 50/34, is this the norm? I want somthing that has 52+ for some serious decent speed.

Would you have to alter the gears yourself?

A compact is fine! 50:11 is plenty tall enough, I barely ever touch that ratio. I am a bit of a spinner though, but still even on descent's you would probably bottle it before you felt the gears were limiting you. Once you are descending at those speeds you will most likely freewheel and try to get nice and aero.

Globalti

Legendary Member
PA, I've just taken the trouble to jump back to the start of this thread and your original post is quite defiantly controversial. If you want to understand the roadie obsession with shiny new kit, cleanliness, purity and perfection and along the way, gain an understanding of the real reason for leg shaving, go and buy a small book called The Escape Artist by the respected cycling writer Matt Seaton. It's a very readable and entertaining account of Seaton's growing obsession with road riding, it explains a lot of roadie lore and convention and it ends with a terrible twist, which I won't spoil for you. Get it; you'll enjoy it.

Here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Escape-Arti...=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1347616653&sr=1-2

Top Bottom