Cheap wads.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
I needed to remove my front mech last week to clean it in areas I couldn't get at with it on the bike. The mucky crud was preventing it from reaching the big chainwheel. I had to split the chain to be able to remove the mech and bu***red up the joining link in the process. Apart from cost cutting why did Shimano stop using a nut and bolt and spacer at the end of the mechanism cage which allowed the mech to be removed without disturbing the chain. Anyway, my nice clean derailleur now has the aforsaid nut bolt and spacer (aren't dremels wonderful) and the chain has a new joining link.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
The chain splitting problem goes away when you use a KMC quick link, don't use the ridiculous shimano link, and then you can just split the chain easily by hand whenever you need to.

ushills

Veteran
+1 on the KMC quick links, never used one before but the new bike came with one, what a time saver for any maintenance on the drive chain. Also makes chain, sprocket etc cleaning so much easier.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Tut Tut - you should be looking after the mech better.:evil: My neighbour ruined a XT front mech on his new MTB by never WD'ing it - he commutes on it, and was always in the big ring, hence with bad weather etc, it rusted solid.

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
In my defence (Fossyant) the bike is a recently acquired one that I am gradually working through to get it back into good condition, so it wasn't my mud and crud! :angel: Other than that I agree about ongoing maintenance.

As for the chain, it had a KMC joining link and I had a hell of a job getting it apart, so much so I actually bent the side plate. I have fitted a new quick link but also treated myself to a KMC tool to undo the link. I tried it on an old chain and it made the job a doddle!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Your not supposed to reconnect a 10 speed quick link (8 and 9 speeds are ok to reuse) but i usually reconnect mine 3 or 4 times berfore replacing. If your carefull and dont bend anything I cant see why not. I struggle to undo it by hand so have grouind down the ends of a pair of long nose pliers and bent the tips inward to grip the chain rollers.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Your not supposed to reconnect a 10 speed quick link (8 and 9 speeds are ok to reuse) but i usually reconnect mine 3 or 4 times berfore replacing. If your carefull and dont bend anything I cant see why not. I struggle to undo it by hand so have grouind down the ends of a pair of long nose pliers and bent the tips inward to grip the chain rollers.

I thought KMC 10 speed links were reusable - unlike some of the others.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
Whilst links are being discussed can I assume that quick links, when undisturbed, have the same service life as the original chain, assuming the time is taken from when both are new.

Top Bottom