cheaper ways to keep fuelled on the bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil120867

Über Member
I've used lots of powders and gels in the past but I am always worried about being ripped off, now its 2011 and I'm looking unemployment in the face I'm trying to economize. I've started making power balls made from dried apricots, saltanas, golden syrup, porridge oats and a little icing sugar. They seem to get me home every time. I'm also drinking tesco's version of ribena (the one with added sugars) with a pinch of salt added. Now I've noticed that Tescos 6p kids jelly concentrate has glucose and frutose etc as its main ingredients. It looks like a shot blok, it smells like a shot blok. Maybe I'm on to something. Has anyone tried it?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I've used lots of powders and gels in the past but I am always worried about being ripped off, now its 2011 and I'm looking unemployment in the face I'm trying to economize. I've started making power balls made from dried apricots, saltanas, golden syrup, porridge oats and a little icing sugar. They seem to get me home every time. I'm also drinking tesco's version of ribena (the one with added sugars) with a pinch of salt added. Now I've noticed that Tescos 6p kids jelly concentrate has glucose and frutose etc as its main ingredients. It looks like a shot blok, it smells like a shot blok. Maybe I'm on to something. Has anyone tried it?

The makers of energy gels etc cottoned on years ago and buy all their ingredients at Tescos :biggrin:

I like these on long rides

Sflap1.jpg

They taste even better when theres a buy one get one free deal on (which there sometimes is on them)

You dont need to be unemployed to not like being ripped off.

Good Luck

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I'm also drinking tesco's version of ribena (the one with added sugars) with a pinch of salt added.

I do something similar. For solid food I like figs, bananas (obviously) and malt loaf- often seems to be on two for one at Sainsbury's.

I like the jelly concentrate idea.

ohnovino

Large Member
On long rides I usually have a block of jelly in my back pocket for "emergency" use. When the wind kicks up (or when I get lost :blush:), it gives a quick sugar boost for those last few miles. It's also really easy to open and eat while riding.

OP
OP
phil120867

phil120867

Über Member
On long rides I usually have a block of jelly in my back pocket for "emergency" use. When the wind kicks up (or when I get lost :blush:), it gives a quick sugar boost for those last few miles. It's also really easy to open and eat while riding.

Great I'll try it next time I'm out on a 50m+ (I'm training for the Hell of the Ashdown). I hate malt loaf, its too dry and sticks to the roof of my mouth, my powerballs are much easier to eat on the go.

e-rider

crappy member
you are certainly correct when you say energy products are a rip-off. I used to use them and probably still would if I had a job because the cost of such things is all relative to income really. However, I've hit on hard times and have gone back to water and bananas (just like the good-old-days) and a chocolate bar purchased in a petrol station if I'm in serious trouble.

There was an article on one of the Consumer progs saying that you need to watch some BOGOF offers as they are occasionally more expensive due to mistakes or mis-pricing.

Garz

Squat Member
Very true, however most now have on the shelf labels the pence per gram or whichever unit it's measured in to assist in determining the real value.

Chrisc

Guru
I've only ever used this kind of thing when it's been a freebie. I just eat normal food and might stick a few boiled sweets in my pocket for sugar on a longer ride is all. Water in the bottle. Good for 100 miles.

nosherduke996

As above, i just use water flavored with NUUN tablets which i find very good and cheap too.Recovery drink is Nesquik when i get home.I had three summer 100 milers, no problem

Svendo

Guru
I have always used squash, with added sugar if needed or if I'm doing a big event added glucose and fructose. Prefer squash to plain water, and find it's easier to drink more, but that's just me. For food I tend to use Trek bars and similar, usually in the 'Natural' or 'Free From' section of the supermarket. I have got some recovery drink, but usually have a bacon sandwich instead!

What's the advantage of Maltodextrin?

Top Bottom