Cherbourg: Planning the first two days of the tour.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ch3

As some of you may know from reading my other posts and blog, next week I'll start my epic cycle tour heading back to Greece.
I've got a ferry ticket to Cherbourg on Wednesday which get there at 14:45 local time. Then I am thinking of making my way to Barfleur which I've heard is a nice village, where I'll look for a campsite near by. Next day I'll probable go via Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue and then continue to some of the D-Day beaches before I start heading to the west coast of France.

So if you've been around there, do you have any suggestions of any other interesting places to visit? Any good campsites in the area of Barfleur and maybe another one somewhere around Carentan? I don't want to attempt more than 40-50 km in the first week.

thank you in advanced.

Tony

If you can make it as far as Arromanches, the Municipal site there is a good one, and lets you see the D-Day beaches and museum.
Caen has a huge museum about the landings, and is well worth a visit, as is Bayeux, of course.

OP
OP
C

ch3

hmmm very sounds interesting. In the case I get all the way to Caen, what do you think will be the best route, or towns, as I making my way to the west coast? Should I aim for Avranches?

Thank you

Top Bottom