Cheshire Cat 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
therams

therams

Yesterday was my first proper Sportive, having only really started cycling 14 months ago. I have ridden the Manchester 100 last year, but for me, the Cheshire Cat was in a different league.
Although I only managed a comparatively slow 7 hours 20 mins, I did not feel out of place. I hung in with some groups and helped out when I could and passed my fair share of riders. What pleased me most was that I got my strategy spot on yesterday. I was up early so had plenty of time to eat. I carried just enough water, to make it to each feed station. Used all my gels and felt good the who way round. I paced my self over the hills as well, which helped.
I had to walk for about 20 yards on the really steep bit of Mow Cop, which was a shame as there were loads of people cheering me on!
However what really surprised me was how much I loved the hills! I enjoy eating up the miles on the flat, but from Mow Cop to the last climb at 35 miles was fantastic fun:biggrin:.

Finding your own rhythm, and making it up hills that look impossible gives huge satisfaction. And then there are the descents! I am normally quite cautious when I am on my own, no knowing the capabilities of the bike. But following more experienced riders down the hills gave me a huge confidence boast, 37 mph max, which is huge for me!
Anyway, great day, really friendly people and the weather was manageable. The only real pain was the delays at the start…

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
therams, there's a good train service from Piccadilly to Crewe, which gives you a nice jumping off point to Mow Cop again, should you fancy a less frantic attempt on it. Northern or Arriva trains wales will take bikes on a "first come" basis on these services.

OP
OP
therams

therams

John the Monkey said:
therams, there's a good train service from Piccadilly to Crewe, which gives you a nice jumping off point to Mow Cop again, should you fancy a less frantic attempt on it. Northern or Arriva trains wales will take bikes on a "first come" basis on these services.

Its not too bad a ride from my place in South Manchester to Mow Cop, about 30 miles. Although it would be good to attack it with fresh legs :cry:

After yesterday more of my rides will be heading into the Peak District and less will be going west!

Ceedee

OvertheHill said:
6:44 ride time for me. Got up Mow Cop (just) with a heart hitting 194bpm! What with the 3 climbs and the headwind I was knackered by the second stop - thank god for that tailwind which carried me until about 10 miles in when I ran out of steam and just hung on until the end. Good organisation although the start queue was a bit of a pain - needed the loo by the time we'd queued for 30+ minutes

6.11 with stops 5.58 ride time. 185 bpm up Mow Cop, highest ever heart rate for me ;)

OP
OP
therams

therams

fossyant said:
Times now up.

Well within top 15% for the 100 miles...happy with that

Well done! I was well within the bottom 15%, but equally as happy, I was not last!

Lots of people failed to show up as well. Also out of the 1300 odd people that started the 100 miles, only about 30 failed to finish.

moolarb

where are the results?

moolarb

thanks for the link, I can't get to Facebook or Twitter from work either

top 1/3 finish for the 100 mile route which I'm quite chuffed with for my 1st sportive - only had the road bike 6 months!

I know it's not a race but there are some impressive times at the sharp end

well done everyone

I think KiloToGo have made a mistook
- total time published is in fact ride time, i.e. time from the start mat to foodstop1 in mat, plus foodstop1 out mat to foodstop2 in mat, plus foodstop2 out mat to foodstop3 in mat, plus foodstop3 out mat to finish mat
- correct total time should also include the split times for foodstop1 in mat to foodstop1 out mat, foodstop2 in mat to foodstop2 out mat, foodstop3 in mat to foodstop3 out mat
- and there's a 'Verified' column : quite a few people have rather amazing times, e.g. perhaps did the 67 mile route rather than the 100 and hence missed-out the 3rd foodstop - I think this verified column is only filled-in if you have times for all mats and hence did the full route

Svendo

Guru
I skipped the first food stop, so don't have first stop splits or second stop in-split (although it would be 3:10.44, from the start to entering the second feed) and guess my result is unverified as a result. I noticed the sub 4:30 times then noticed they had no finish splits. Looking at the spreadsheet, the best verified 100 mile time I see is no.782 in 5:05, which is really quite impressive.

Top Bottom