Cheshire Cat 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

moolarb

just a solo ride for me, not used to riding in groups so wouldn't feel comfortable

managed to get up Mow Cop today for the first time - pissed it down just as I started the climb so it was a bit wet but didn't lose any traction even on the steep bit

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Back..........

5.45 ride time - 6.18 with feeds (total time out), got up Mow Cop.....191 bpm on the HR (checked later :laugh: ), and averaged mid 170's for the other hills....eeek. Mow Cop showing over 1/3 at one point on the Garmin.

Mow Cop was entertaining - finding a gap was tricky, and bodies everywhere - lots getting brought to a stop by those pulling up...

After Banibridge/Wincle, there was a 40 mile headwind battle all the way to the Welsh Boarders, and from Malpas we had the last 20 back with a tail wind.

Only got in a group for 10 miles in the headwind.....

4.5 litres of energy drink, 7 bananas, 4 energy gels and 4 oat bars...oh and a cake at one stop.......;)

Good organisation from Kilotogo !! :biggrin:

Saw Kestevan just after the summit of Mow Cop.....

OP
OP
therams

therams

fossyant said:
Back..........

5.45 ride time - 6.18 with feeds (total time out), got up Mow Cop.....191 bpm on the HR (checked later :sad: ), and averaged mid 170's for the other hills....eeek. Mow Cop showing over 1/3 at one point on the Garmin.

Mow Cop was entertaining - finding a gap was tricky, and bodies everywhere - lots getting brought to a stop by those pulling up...

After Banibridge/Wincle, there was a 40 mile headwind battle all the way to the Welsh Boarders, and from Malpas we had the last 20 back with a tail wind.

Only got in a group for 10 miles in the headwind.....

4.5 litres of energy drink, 7 bananas, 4 energy gels and 4 oat bars...oh and a cake at one stop.......:smile:

Good organisation from Kilotogo !! :biggrin:

Saw Kestevan just after the summit of Mow Cop.....

Bloddy hell! Well done, for me....

Official Ride Time:
8hrs 06m Garmin Time (without stops) 7hrs 23m.

Felt good all day though, got the feeding right, loved the climbs. Now for a beer:biggrin:

moolarb

Great ride, really enjoyed that. Superb organisation, with a well marked course and well stocked feed stations.

Managed to get up Mow Cop no problem - 2nd time in 3 days! Bit congested after being held up at the train crossing so everyone set off up the hill together.

6hrs 16mins ride time, add to that about 15mins for 3 feed stops. 16.4 mph average so quite chuffed with that. Good burn up at the end :-)

fossyant

Well done therams.............. did you get up Mow..... can't remember much of the steep section - loads of folk shouting, loads of 'bodies' to avoid -just concentrating on the road, and where there was a space, oh and gravel when I zig zag'ed for a bit.....:biggrin:

Felt good, was nearly sick on the descent of Mow Cop - not wise to try eating an oat bar on a descent that it actually quite fast..........:ohmy: Got 4 SIS Blackcurrant gels and they were quite nice (not sweet) and kicked in fast......

Flippin hard with the headwind, knocked all times right down - the only groups that formed were out for a steady pace....we tried a faster group, but it blew apart - two lads from Wolverhampton eventually pulled it to bits, and I thought I'm not sitting in on them.......

Got a good pace in the last 20 miles of tail wind though.

Felt good, was nearly sick on the descent of Mow Cop - now wise to try eating an oat bar on a descent that it actually quite fast.......... Got 4 SIS Blackcurrant gels and they were quite nice (not sweet) and kicked in fast......

fossyant

moolarb said:
Great ride, really enjoyed that. Superb organisation, with a well marked course and well stocked feed stations.

Managed to get up Mow Cop no problem - 2nd time in 3 days! Bit congested after being held up at the train crossing so everyone set off up the hill together.

6hrs 16mins ride time, add to that about 15mins for 3 feed stops. 16.4 mph average so quite chuffed with that. Good burn up at the end :-)

Well done - the first feed for me took ages just to get water and a pee, cos I'd been standing in the cold for an hour at the start...needed a pee as we set off.

Course marking was spot on, one or two missing /not spotted signs, but backed up with other signs.............Holmes Chapel just after the feed, going off the main road, but I had my Garmin, and we shouted a couple that shot past..

Organisation A1..........bananas...I live off them....... so I was happy...had one cake at Holmes Chapel. The High Five I used only at 50 and 70 miles, topped with my own stuff....... bit potent for the last 25 miles..........

Coffee/Tea at start/finish was good....and additional food for a charge.........

Lots of staff/helpers/ marshalls (at big junctions)........... can see where the money went........

naffets

well done everybody that got round! especially with 30-40 mile of headwind! i managed to do the 100 in 5.57 with stops so quite pleased.

Svendo

Guru
I had a succesful ride, 100 miles, 6'30 ride time, 7'20 actual time. Started fairly late (10 am by the time I crossed the line) so a bit less carnage on Mow Cop, though one guy toppled over ahead of me failing to make his zigzag turn!. Managed to get straight up with no probs in my 36*25 gear. I'm sure the enthusiasm on the day helped a lot but I find some of the steep climbs round here harder when I'm on my own (e.g. Church Lane in Hebden Bridge). Felt fine until the second stop, but leaving there felt like I'd a cold coming, headache and runny nose and felt like poo, and it was the headwind leg. Sheltered behind a chap from Chester Tri for much of it though, but I really struggled for any decent pace. Felt much better after third stop and turning away from the wind, nose still runny but those sweeping lanes were brilliant something I don't get to ride round here in Rochdale. Had second wind from about 80 miles and hung onto a fast group but then faded again about 4 miles out and plodded in.
Second the thumbs up for the organisation, no problems at all, just some queueing.

OvertheHill

Über Member
6:44 ride time for me. Got up Mow Cop (just) with a heart hitting 194bpm! What with the 3 climbs and the headwind I was knackered by the second stop - thank god for that tailwind which carried me until about 10 miles in when I ran out of steam and just hung on until the end. Good organisation although the start queue was a bit of a pain - needed the loo by the time we'd queued for 30+ minutes

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Got round - no idea on the time, guess it was about 5 hours (for the 67 miler) - slowed considerably by the friend I was riding with, it was his first sportive and I dont think he was prepared for the hills... I spent quite a while waiting at the top of hills while he pushed :tongue:

Got 95% of the way up Mow Cop, and was then taken out by some half wit who zig-zagged in front of me and fell off.... I might have gasped something a bit rude at the time.

Really enjoyed it though - well organised and a nice route. Cracking weather too, other than that bloody wind.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Good job all!

I ended up having to work, so a good job I chickened out of entering all round. Glad the weather stayed dry, although the rain is back with a vengeance today.

It was interesting to see all the folk with bike bags & bikes on roof racks headed into Crewe on Saturday - one of my neighbours saw some of the riders from the 'Cat on Alsager rd too.

The same weekend we had a Macc Wheelers club run come down our road on Saturday!

zaid

Ditto on the Mow Cop. It was a hard enough climb on it's own, but when you had to negotiate the zig zagers and people stopping right in front of you it made it doubly hard.

seth

zaid said:
Ditto on the Mow Cop. It was a hard enough climb on it's own, but when you had to negotiate the zig zagers and people stopping right in front of you it made it doubly hard.

Yeh know what you meandifficult maintaining balance and finding a way through.

5:51 (stops not inc). Happy with that. Not sure about sausage rolls at the feeds. ea at the end was great

Looked like a nasty crash on the long descent after Mow Cop. On the left at the entrance to the car park. Guy lying down with his face covered being attended to. Anyone know what happened? Hope all was OK.

Quality tip on fig rolls and malt loaf from FossAnt, worked a treat.

Well done everyone.

moolarb

Didn't see that crash, but hope the guy is ok. That reminds me, I was flying down the decent after Mow Cop. Mainly freewheeling but my 95kg helped me to about 42mph. Just as I was overtaking someone, I heard a shout from behind and an almightly rattling. I was worried that I'd pushed some guy into the rough stuff on the wrong side of the road - but it turns out he had really bad speed wobble - at least that's what it looked like. The bike was nearly shaking itself to bits, and the rider was hanging on for grim death. He nearly hit a transit van head on (I'm guessing he was struggling to steer). Eventually he managed to slow down, but it was scary to watch.

Top Bottom