Cheshire Cat 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I get Isostar Long Energy - been using it years, and works for me - Decathlon sell it, and a stack of other stuff. It actually tastes good. I'll be carrying 1 litre of it mixed, then a bag with the 'powder' in for later......

14 table spoons of powder per 1 litre bottle...looks alot, but on this distance you want 'full strength'. Look to consume 500ml per hour.

Food wise, it will be malt loaf, a couple of oat bars (can be tricky to eat) and a couple of bananas. I may carry a couple of gels for emergency, but I don't like them, nor will I be carrying power bars - I find real food, plus energy drinks work perfectly.

Last 100 I did, I had a total of 3 litres (2 x 750 ml bottles refilled once) but only one water stop - that was the Manchester 100, but you have to be self reliant as they provide nothing.

seth

Cheers Fossyant, will have a look at Isostar. I did use a carb drink last week (left over from an Alsp summer trip last year) really for hot weather but seemed to do the trick over 60 miles.

Will definately invest in the malt loaf, heard good things about that.

Do youknow what type of food is available at the feed? bannana, cake etc?

fossyant

Carb drinks are useful for over 35 miles, especially if you aren't stopping. The food wasn't that brill from last year's accounts, but who knows - certainly make sure you have stuff that 'agrees with you' - Donuts or sasuage rolls were mentioned I think...

seth

Sausage rolls and donuts!! Dont get me wrong, I like em, but not facing another 70 miles. Be like a dead dog sitting in your guts. Think you have theright idea F, take your own.

What overshoes do you use? I have had several pairs but feet still freeze, even after investing in some Assos air stop.

fossyant

Overshoes, on the road bike generally some thin Northwave H2O things - work well, bit flimsy - OK for cold and 'grubby' rides. For commute and wet rides it's BBB Hardware Aquashields - 3mm neoprene with a PU coating, so great if hissing it down as your feet stay pretty dry and warm.

Foodstops on the Cheshire Cat have been, err poor let's say, for the last 2 years.

Over-diluted High-5 drink
Under-ripe bananas
Tesco Value apple pies, doughnuts and sausage rolls

No sign of any proper energy bars or gels, so if that's what you want then take your own

Dunno what £28 and UCI event accreditation is buying...

OP
OP
therams

therams

So, its next weekend...

How is everybody feeling? Are we ready? Whats the weather going to be like? Will we all make it up Mow Cop?

Personally, looking forward to it, but a little but apprehensive. As long as the weather holds, it will be a great start to the year.

Bring it on:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
To be honest, I'm bricking it !

My total yearly milage so far this year would probably only get me about 3/4 of the way round. My overall fitness has gone way down, I'm fat and the knee is still a bit sore.

Still, on the bright side, my new CC jersey arrived today, so when you see the fat, wheezing bloke limping up Mow cop next Sunday at least you'll know who I am :biggrin:

OvertheHill

Über Member
Kestevan said:

My total yearly milage so far this year would probably only get me about 3/4 of the way round. My overall fitness has gone way down, I'm fat and the knee is still a bit sore.

Still, on the bright side, my new CC jersey arrived today, so when you see the fat, wheezing bloke limping up Mow cop next Sunday at least you'll know who I am :angry:

;) Might be me! :biggrin:

Ceedee

therams said:
OK, so that sums it up for me as well!

Its not the hills, but the distance afterwards that's worrying me.

I am ready as I will ever be after such a poor winter. I am doing a hilly 50 this Sunday and 5 steady commutes next week giving me about 400 miles for the month, then fingers crossed for the weather.

Ceedee

Kestevan said:

Still, on the bright side, my new CC jersey arrived today, so when you see the fat, wheezing bloke limping up Mow cop next Sunday at least you'll know who I am :smile:

LOL, you live at the bottom of Holme Moss and you are bothered about Mow Cop! I was up Holme Moss the other day and there was still snow up there.

Good luck by the way.

Top Bottom