Cheshire Cat 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedBike

This is a good linking road to get to the bottom of Gunn/ Wincle climbs to Macc Forest.
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?...archp=ids.srf&dn=850&ax=396202&ay=368845&lm=0

I don't think this climb has a name but it's certainly steep little thing.

moolarb

RedBike said:
Gunn hill is here
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?...archp=ids.srf&dn=850&ax=397297&ay=360730&lm=0

and Wincle is here: (passed the pub and all the way up to the A54).
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?...archp=ids.srf&dn=850&ax=396052&ay=365465&lm=0

Both need to be ridden West to East.

Thanks RB :tongue:

I've not been as far south as Gun Hill yet but I think I'll give it a go next time I'm riding in that area.

I've ridden that Wincle climb a few times though and tbh I didn't think it was too bad - nowhere near as bad as Lamaload or Pym Chair which are both fairly close by.

moolarb

RedBike said:
This is a good linking road to get to the bottom of Gunn/ Wincle climbs to Macc Forest.
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?...archp=ids.srf&dn=850&ax=396202&ay=368845&lm=0

I don't think this climb has a name but it's certainly steep little thing.

Ah, that's the fella - struggled up there a few times on my MTB (even with granny ring) - remember the first time I got up without stopping and was well chuffed. It's that little steep bit at the bottom which gets you (the opposite of Mow Cop I suppose). When I feel strong enough I'll take the road bike up it but my lowest gear is 38x26 so need to train a bit first.

Thanks again for the links.

OvertheHill

Über Member
NapoleonD said:
I did Mow Cop in August on a 39/27 5 months after breaking my leg in 3 places. Average power output was 289 watts for the climb (bang on 10 mins) so it really isn't as tough as the hype makes out. I was 96kg then too :laugh:

Unless you can't get up it, then it is really tough.

I rode 30 miles down to it on Saturday and I couldn't get up it, even on the granny ring. Had to stop 3 times. :wacko: Still, what doesn't kill you...

OP
OP
therams

therams

OvertheHill said:
I rode 30 miles down to it on Saturday and I couldn't get up it, even on the granny ring. Had to stop 3 times. :wacko: Still, what doesn't kill you...

Funny, I did exactly the same thing on Sunday!

I make no excuses, I don't think I have the legs (yet) to get up the 25% bit near the pub. However, its also technically very difficult to ride up a steep slope like that, especially when the roads are wet. I was either pulling a wheelie or spinning the back wheel. I stoped to regroup, then could not get enough speed to to clip in again! :sad:

seth

therams said:
Funny, I did exactly the same thing on Sunday!

I make no excuses, I don't think I have the legs (yet) to get up the 25% bit near the pub. However, its also technically very difficult to ride up a steep slope like that, especially when the roads are wet. I was either pulling a wheelie or spinning the back wheel. I stoped to regroup, then could not get enough speed to to clip in again! xx(
Seemed like a good idea ‘thearms’ so had a go this Saturday. Not too bad but did have to stop just below the pub for oxygen (Stephen Roche stylie) for a few seconds. I would agree on the 25% bit, back wheel spinning a few times. The rest of the ride past Rushton Spencer and onto Wincle is really nice. Must dig that 27 out though before the 28th

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Martin's doing it, oh heck, he'll give us all a battering.

Did the Rushton Wincle roads on Sunday, through ice on the 1 in 7 bit out of Rushton..... Some of the roads are pot hole strewn, so caution will be needed.

Wincle climb 'optically' looks a nightmare, you drop straight down towards the school, and can just see the road rise straight up - fortunately it's a steady 1 in 7 climb though, got 1/2 way up on the 21, then realised I still had a 24, so dropped into it.

Should be good, liked the views up Wincle.

Not worried about the climbing, just the distance, as Sunday's ride of 51 miles was the longest I've done for many months - fortunately I fueled correctly, so was still fresh at the end.

The first feed is 2 miles before Wincle, so I'll not be stopping long, quick drink re-fil, grab some food, and off.... not worth getting stiff.

seth

Aye , ive heard hes not too bad on a bike!

Know what you mean about those pot holes. If ice wasn’t enough to cope with! I turned off at the school heading for Macc Forest. How long is that ascent Fossy? It looked a wheel spinner.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Wincle is steepest is just after the Church, but it's dead steady gradient - 1 in 7, and flattens out at the top. I'd say about 3/4 mile from bottom to the junction at the top. It looks horrible as you descend towards it - just an opticcal illusion.

Once at the top, the route turns left down to Langley....I went straight over and carried on climbing - some tiny roads over that way though....

Worse part of the road, was after the Rusthton climb, get to the top and then turn left and down to a hairpin, with a bridge, then a little climb out near a farm (before Wincle) - just as you bear left and climb, the road falls to bits.... only non-cratered tarmac was near the centre line....

seth

Yes was a bit dodgy that descent to the bridge. I took it very steady, specially with a Land Rover just parked up in the gateway on the brige looking like he was going to reverse!

What are you using to drink on the CC? Never really used these sports powders, but will need something for 100 miles

Top Bottom