1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Childhood dreams

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Bigtallfatbloke, 22 Feb 2008.

1. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

Has anybody here actually realised their childhood dreams/aspirations?...any astronauts around etc?

2. Abitrary

Abitrary New Member

My childhood dream was to own a sweetshop which I aspired to work in for the rest of my life and just sit there eating sweets all day.

So no, although I came close.

3. OP
    OP
    Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

...you're not a dealer are you?;):blush:

4. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

When i was little, I wanted to have a job where I had a swivel chair, a rubber stamp to stamp things with, and a set of those doors that swing both ways (stop sniggering at the back!).

I worked in a supermarket for 12 years, and had all of those, it was mostly awful.

Currently I do have a swivel chair - in fact my new boss even ordered some new castors in order to mend it for me.

I wanted to be a jockey for a while, but at about 7 years old realised that I couldn't as I couldn't ride a horse. Somehow, it didn't occur to me that one could learn. Now I can, of course, I'm about twice the required weight...:smile:

5. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

I wanted to be a soldier.

I was, for a short time. I was very unhappy and lasted less than a year.

6. NickM

NickM Veteran

When I was seven or eight we were passing a rather grand house and I said to my dad "How much will I need to earn to have a house like that?". "Oh, I don't know - about £30,000 a year" he replied (an absurd income in 1964).

By the time my salary started to approach that figure (it still hasn't got there, and I don't care), the house had gone up in price... and I didn't want it anyway.

My adult dream is to escape employment altogether while simultaneously avoiding destitution. That one hasn't come true yet, either.

7. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

I wanted to be a dancer on the Rolf Harris show. :smile:

8. ChrisKH

ChrisKH Shorts Adjustment Expert

Soldier or policeman.

Neither came true as I was found to be totally deaf in one ear when I was five.

9. I wanted to be a pilot. In the 1970s, girls weren't allowed to be pilots, only air hostesses. So I wanted to be an airhostess instead. I still wish I'd been a pilot and have a fascination with aircraft. I no longer want to be an air hostess. Come to think of it with my spatial awareness it's probaby a good thing I was never let loose at the controls of an aircraft.

I also wanted to be a vulcanologist. Unfortunately somebody told me I had to be good at chemistry for that. So I gave up on that idea, but deep down wish I had persevered.

10. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

When I was at school, in the mid 80's, wwe had a series of careers talks, from teh services and police. Being a girls school, we were all girls. As I remember, most of the talks consisted of the things girls couldn't do at that time - I seem to remember dog-handling, flying or riding a police motorbike were among them. I wondered why they bothered really.

11. Yes I also went to a girls school and we all left thinking that women could achieve anything and that discrimination somehow 'didn't apply' to us. With hindsight, what a naive view!!

12. NickM

NickM Veteran

There's definitely a response to this, but it'll only come to me after somebody else has got in first...

Anyway, never mind that. Had they not heard of Amelia Earhart? or Hilda Hewlett, for that matter?

13. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

You didn't like to insert cotton wool buds into various orifices as a toddler did you?

14. Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey Toll Collector on the Road to Nowhere

I wanted to create worlds. And in my head I did. I wanted to everything that began with 'A'... astronanut, architect etc. Then I wanted to be a pilot and I did learn to fly. I was lined up for an RAF scholarship - I'm a wee man, and the perfect size for a fighter pilot. But then I decided that killing people was not for me, and I just wanted to change the world. The only thing that's changed since then is a more realistic appreciation of how difficult that is. So in a way my dream is the same as where I started. I want to make the world in which I would like to live.

15. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

I wanted to be a lorry driver and had shelves of replica model lorries in my bedroom.

Never made that one reality and have ended up being trapped in London and working in a frickin bank, probably for the rest of my life! :smile: