Childhood dreams

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

My childhood dream was to own a sweetshop which I aspired to work in for the rest of my life and just sit there eating sweets all day.

So no, although I came close.

Arch

Married to Night Train
When i was little, I wanted to have a job where I had a swivel chair, a rubber stamp to stamp things with, and a set of those doors that swing both ways (stop sniggering at the back!).

I worked in a supermarket for 12 years, and had all of those, it was mostly awful.

Currently I do have a swivel chair - in fact my new boss even ordered some new castors in order to mend it for me.

I wanted to be a jockey for a while, but at about 7 years old realised that I couldn't as I couldn't ride a horse. Somehow, it didn't occur to me that one could learn. Now I can, of course, I'm about twice the required weight...:smile:

NickM

Veteran
When I was seven or eight we were passing a rather grand house and I said to my dad "How much will I need to earn to have a house like that?". "Oh, I don't know - about £30,000 a year" he replied (an absurd income in 1964).

By the time my salary started to approach that figure (it still hasn't got there, and I don't care), the house had gone up in price... and I didn't want it anyway.

My adult dream is to escape employment altogether while simultaneously avoiding destitution. That one hasn't come true yet, either.

I wanted to be a pilot. In the 1970s, girls weren't allowed to be pilots, only air hostesses. So I wanted to be an airhostess instead. I still wish I'd been a pilot and have a fascination with aircraft. I no longer want to be an air hostess. Come to think of it with my spatial awareness it's probaby a good thing I was never let loose at the controls of an aircraft.

I also wanted to be a vulcanologist. Unfortunately somebody told me I had to be good at chemistry for that. So I gave up on that idea, but deep down wish I had persevered.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Kirstie said:
I wanted to be a pilot. In the 1970s, girls weren't allowed to be pilots, only air hostesses. So I wanted to be an airhostess instead. I still wish I'd been a pilot and have a fascination with aircraft. I no longer want to be an air hostess. Come to think of it with my spatial awareness it's probaby a good thing I was never let loose at the controls of an aircraft.

I also wanted to be a vulcanologist. Unfortunately somebody told me I had to be good at chemistry for that. So I gave up on that idea, but deep down wish I had persevered.

When I was at school, in the mid 80's, wwe had a series of careers talks, from teh services and police. Being a girls school, we were all girls. As I remember, most of the talks consisted of the things girls couldn't do at that time - I seem to remember dog-handling, flying or riding a police motorbike were among them. I wondered why they bothered really.

Arch said:
When I was at school, in the mid 80's, wwe had a series of careers talks, from teh services and police. Being a girls school, we were all girls. As I remember, most of the talks consisted of the things girls couldn't do at that time - I seem to remember dog-handling, flying or riding a police motorbike were among them. I wondered why they bothered really.

Yes I also went to a girls school and we all left thinking that women could achieve anything and that discrimination somehow 'didn't apply' to us. With hindsight, what a naive view!!

domtyler

Über Member
ChrisKH said:
Soldier or policeman.

Neither came true as I was found to be totally deaf in one ear when I was five.

You didn't like to insert cotton wool buds into various orifices as a toddler did you?

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I wanted to create worlds. And in my head I did. I wanted to everything that began with 'A'... astronanut, architect etc. Then I wanted to be a pilot and I did learn to fly. I was lined up for an RAF scholarship - I'm a wee man, and the perfect size for a fighter pilot. But then I decided that killing people was not for me, and I just wanted to change the world. The only thing that's changed since then is a more realistic appreciation of how difficult that is. So in a way my dream is the same as where I started. I want to make the world in which I would like to live.

domtyler

Über Member
I wanted to be a lorry driver and had shelves of replica model lorries in my bedroom.

Never made that one reality and have ended up being trapped in London and working in a frickin bank, probably for the rest of my life! :smile:

Top Bottom