Childhood dreams

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickM

Veteran
domtyler said:
...have ended up being trapped in London and working in a frickin bank, probably for the rest of my life! :smile:
<sigh>

Arch

Married to Night Train
NickM said:
There's definitely a response to this, but it'll only come to me after somebody else has got in first...

Anyway, never mind that. Had they not heard of Amelia Earhart? or Hilda Hewlett, for that matter?

It was fighter pilots you couldn't be apparently. As I recall, the reasoning was that the risk was that if you had to eject (or it might have been the g forces involved in general flying), it would bugger up your pelvis or something and stop you having children. This may not have been the real reason, but that's what we were told.

NickM

Veteran
Arch said:
...it would bugger up your pelvis or something and stop you having children. This may not have been the real reason, but that's what we were told.
That's what young Victorian women who wanted to ride bicycles were told! (well, not the ejector seat bit, the pelvis bit).

Sounds pretty bogus to me...

gavintc

Guru
My parents so wanted me to go to uni. Neither of them had had the opportunity as both came from relatively poor working class families. It was drummed into me from a fairly young age, that uni was the future. I had a place at both Heriot Watt and Stirling all lined up. I just thought it looked so boring and so much like school. So unbeknown to my parents, I walked into an Army recruiting office, signed up and off I went. It had always been my desire to do something exciting, not stuck in an office. It was the best decision I made, but it took about 5 years for my parents to forgive me. Travelled the world and by 23, I had been to so many foreign countries while my friends from school were still stuck in Edinburgh.

redcogs

Guru
i don't recall any strong early desires, apart from wanting different circumstances and less unhappiness.

As a young teenager i wanted to be a Beatle - preferably John, but would have settled for one of the others.

What an absolutely arrogant peanut i must have been (do not say it!). Makes me shudder looking back.

Arch

Married to Night Train
NickM said:
That's what young Victorian women who wanted to ride bicycles were told! (well, not the ejector seat bit, the pelvis bit).

Sounds pretty bogus to me...

I believe the phrase was "damage to the organs of matrimonial necessity..."

Gromit

Über Member
I wanted to go to college and become a fashion designer but after being told repeatedly by various members of my family that I was stupid and thick, I was forced to leave school at 16 in order to support my mum who refused to work.

[FONT=&quot]I left home at 19 after receiving a proper full-time wage went to college at 23, university at 25. It wasn’t until I was 30 that I finally new what I really want to be, now I’m a qualified Countryside Ranger, I start a new job here in York on Monday as a Womble. (Recycling officer). ;)
[/FONT]

gbb

Legendary Member
Wanted to be a lorry driver...with hindsight, i'm glad i never saw it through.
Bl00dy roads, traffic, etc etc...wouldnt thank myself now.

I used to sit at the side of the road as a youngster in the 1970's..i knew all the trucks, Scammell, Leyland etc etc....i wanna do that ;)

ChrisKH

Guru
domtyler said:
You didn't like to insert cotton wool buds into various orifices as a toddler did you?

You insensitive bx8st75d dom.

Nah, only kidding. The usual response is Eh? What? Can't here you? At least cotton buds is original.

It's nerve deafness (I was going to write nervous deafness, but that didn't read right), I have had the opportunity of surgery but there's no certainty it would cure it and I may lose my balance. So I would prefer to suffer in silence. Well, partial silence. ;)

ChrisKH

Guru
Arch said:
It was fighter pilots you couldn't be apparently. As I recall, the reasoning was that the risk was that if you had to eject (or it might have been the g forces involved in general flying), it would bugger up your pelvis or something and stop you having children. This may not have been the real reason, but that's what we were told.

MY brother used to manage a squad of ATC and he had a young lady go on to be a RAF pilot. But as you say she can't be a fighter pilot. I don't see why not personally.

I'll just add that my husband is the only person I know who is doing what he wanted to do as a child - sound engineering. He's wanted to do it since age 10. Unfortunately, while it is very interesting work, and right up his street, the employment conditions are crap...verging on the exploitative and dangerous. Oh well.

Top Bottom