Childhood dreams

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

NickM said:
Of course, the thing that all boys should aspire to be is a brewer (girls too, if they're like MsM). The noblest calling by far. But you don't find out until you're older, do you? Sort of a Catch-22...

Couldn't agree more. I'm seriously considering this giving this a go.

I get the impression working for a big brewer isn't much fun, but craft brewing really appeals.

NickM

Veteran
If I could afford to give up work, I'd set about learning Dutch and getting into the Belgian School of Brewing in Leuven...

I'm just waiting for a Poperings Hommelbier to get down to operating temperature :sad:

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
My middle-class girls' dream was to be a world-beating, international show-jumping superstar. With a white horse. This was a very important part of my dream.

I pursued this dream until it became apparent that I had nothing like enough bottle, talent or amibition, so I had a brief spell of helping someone else to follow my chosen career by shovelling their horses' poo, and then moved into polishing horses and helping small children to fall off them.

Then I gave up and went to Uni.

I still reckon I shovel more sh*t in my current role as Pie-Eating Local Government Officer than on an average day at a stables :biggrin:

And nobody ever bought me a white horse. If that had happened I'd wager my whole life would be different ;)

(oh god, please hide this post from Bonj)

Abitrary

Baggy said:
My middle-class girls' dream was to be a world-beating, international show-jumping superstar. With a white horse. This was a very important part of my dream.

I pursued this dream until it became apparent that I had nothing like enough bottle, talent or amibition, so I had a brief spell of helping someone else to follow my chosen career by shovelling their horses' poo, and then moved into polishing horses and helping small children to fall off them.

I still reckon I shovel more sh*t in my current role as Pie-Eating Local Government Officer than on an average day at a stables :sad:

And nobody ever bought me a white horse. If that had happened I'd wager my whole life would be different :thumbsup:

Everyone. Please hide this post away from bonj, starting from now.

ASC1951

Guru
My dad was a miner's son and although he didn't get to University he did become a lawyer. He must have made it sound exciting, because it's what I have spent my whole working life doing; so do my brother and sister, after different early careers. He died younger than I am now and never saw any of us qualify.

We grew up in the industrial Black Country. Looking back on it, I think I'd rather have been an engineer: too late now.

bonj2

Baggy said:

I still reckon I shovel more sh*t in my current role as Pie-Eating Local Government Officer than on an average day at a stables :blush:

And nobody ever bought me a white horse. If that had happened I'd wager my whole life would be different ;)

you know white horses are only white because they're dyed white, don't you? They do it to make them look more sleek.

Keith Oates

Janner
I always wanted to be a Long Distance Lorry driver with cab arranged so there was the bed behind the drivers seat. I've done the long distance travel bit but not by driving a lovely big artic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
There was a kid at school who just picked the first job in the list of "careers" we were given to consider. He worked in the abattoir for a few years before he left after a row concerning the number of pig carcasses he had to carry at a time.

I sort of wanted to be a scientist and I've ended up as a sort of scientist.

When I was a really little kid I wanted to be a farmer*. Which was nuts considering I lived in SE England. And my parents didn't own a farm.

*since they got to drive tractors.

domtyler

Über Member
ChrisKH said:
You insensitive bx8st75d dom.

Nah, only kidding. The usual response is Eh? What? Can't here you? At least cotton buds is original.

It's nerve deafness (I was going to write nervous deafness, but that didn't read right), I have had the opportunity of surgery but there's no certainty it would cure it and I may lose my balance. So I would prefer to suffer in silence. Well, partial silence. ;)

Sorry Chris, didn't mean to offend. This was a reference to a recent news article about a young lad who had been deaf since he was a toddler, but suddenly started to hear again when a ten year old cotton bud dropped out of his ear:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/7214066.stm

Top Bottom