Childless or childfree?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
If I added up all the time that I have spent wishing I had children, it would amount to about three nano-seconds.

I am now of the age when people assume that I have grown-up children, and that they have left home. :thumbsup: On the rare occasion some one asks out-right if I have children, I say "no". Conversation then comes to a complete halt. Mischieviously, I then leave it them to "re-start" (or not) any conversation. Then I tell a jokey story about the teenager in this house who stays out all night, sleeps most of the day, demands food at any time of the day, and does not help at all around the house, treats the place like a hotel. He is 12 inches tall and fluffy and white and has long whiskers and has four legs.

Until I was forty I had a sneaking suspicion that I would suddenly regret not having children, but this did not happen, and I am very happy without them. This is mostly because I realise what tremendous responsibility they are, and the dedication and selflessness, and hard work and relentless energy that is needed if you have children.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I have 2 Daughters... and can't imagine life without them.

Each to their own though I guess.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Which is the point!!! Totally agree...one option isn't any better or worse than the other, they're both perfect for the right person!! It's when people imply only one route is correct that it gets nasty!!

Grrr...

OP
OP
Dayvo

Dayvo

just passin' through
Cathryn said:
Which is the point!!! Totally agree...one option isn't any better or worse than the other, they're both perfect for the right person!! It's when people imply only one route is correct that it gets nasty!!

Grrr...

Spot on! :thumbsup:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have two kids, but don't preach to anyone........... One thing..they are expensive..... and seriously cut into cycling time - so you'll see the keen commuters probably have kids as well - as it's commute or don't ride......

No regrets.... still lets you play with toys and stuff..

Rhythm Thief

Veteran
If I had children, I wouldn't be able to spend six hundred quid on a guitar amp on a whim, as I did earlier today. Worth being childless just for that.:thumbsup:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Dayvo said:
...I just wonder why it is just such an 'accepted fact' that we are here to procreate and further the development of mankind.

[atheist hat on] well that kind of is the only point, really, to shag and procreate (the development of mankind stuff is incidental). Just like those insects in the US that come out only once, 17 yrs after being "born", shag once and then die. Our purpose is to do that (but shag more than once, obviously, and not die afterwards, but you gfet my point, hopefully).
I love having kids, and always wanted to have them, but totally cool with those who don't want them.... it's a personal thang, I guess!:thumbsup:

surfgurl

I don't have any kids of my own. I have two teenage stepsons who live with us courtesy of Mr Surf and his ex partner. I'm 29 (thirty on Monday) and have been step Mum since I was 18.
I have been struggling with the thought that I wanted a kids of my own for some years. It's now on the eve of turning thirty that I am thinking, actually the youngest is almost 16, give it a couple of years and I'll be freeish of the parental thing.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Literally on the eve? Is it your 30th tomorrow?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
surfgurl said:
I don't have any kids of my own. I have two teenage stepsons who live with us courtesy of Mr Surf and his ex partner. I'm 29 (thirty on Monday) and have been step Mum since I was 18.
I have been struggling with the thought that I wanted a kids of my own for some years. It's now on the eve of turning thirty that I am thinking, actually the youngest is almost 16, give it a couple of years and I'll be freeish of the parental thing.

You're never entirely free of the parentish thing though

Noodley

Mrs Noodley was in her late 30s when she gave birth to elder Noodley Jnr. She said that until she met me she had no inclination towards having kids. Younger Noodley Jnr was born when she was 43 - it's Mrs Noodley's birfday tomorrow. (I am almost 10 years younger than her, but all our friends <and strangers> think I look 10 years older than her - she is very young looking, honest, but I did have a hard paper round :evil::smile:)

yenrod

I'm not the warmest of people more logical really BUT I can be nice

BASTAD :smile:

No, honestly I really am a nice guy - just as long as people DONT PISS ME OFF GET IT PUNK :evil:

Seriously Day' - I know of a dear situation close to me whereby a couple cannot have children yet they have them YET their are mere f@ckwits who 'spill' them out and if that the next gen then they need shooting now !!!!!!!!

Take tonight in the chipshop. Was in their for someone else.

Whilst waiting, some woman was threatening her child as she wouldnt get off the floor, with the threat to pull her up by her pony-tails: now wonder society's zeroed...

And people wonder why I aint got any kids of my own.

The sad'ness of the above just seeps thru the casms of my body to my soul which is crying inside for humankind.

I don't know.

Dayvo said:
My new friends here in Norway find it hard to believe that I haven't, nor do I want, any kids! I find it hard to believe that they can't understand that I don't want them!

I don't need kids to regret having them.

I am absolutely not criticising anyone who has children, but I just wonder why it is just such an 'accepted fact' that we are here to procreate and further the development of mankind.

So: with or without? And do you regret having them/not having them?

yenrod

Noodley said:
Mrs Noodley was in her late 30s when she gave birth to elder Noodley Jnr. She said that until she met me she had no inclination towards having kids. Younger Noodley Jnr was born when she was 43 - it's Mrs Noodley's birfday tomorrow. (I am almost 10 years younger than her, but all our friends <and strangers> think I look 10 years older than her - she is very young looking, honest, but I did have a hard paper round :evil::smile:)

And I thought you were an owld ****er too! !

Top Bottom