Children and adults with no bike lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I'm sure the guy who smacked into another car with only one light because he thought it was a bike or motorbike wouldn't have thought it was "correct".
Has anyone ever actually done this? I can remember being given it as advice when I was learning to drive in the late 80's and I can't think of a single instance in almost 30 years of driving where I've thought 'oh, it's only a motorbike. Crap, no, it's a car with one light out'. Aside from the fact that the my lights illuminate enough of the vehicle to show it isn't a motorbike, most of the time the position of the light gives it away anyway. I can kind of believe it might have been the case back when every car had a dynamo and was trusting on Lucas, the Prince of Darkness for their lighting. But I can't see any reason to it as advice now. Also, at which point does 'it's only a motorbike' make driving within a foot of it correct?

Bike ninjas, seen a few lately, people getting caught out by nightfall rapidly getting earlier is my guess. Once I start commuting in the dark I'll see loads, but then this is London, spiritual home of the bike ninja.

Crap, no, it's a car with one light out'.

Interesting point , and a good reason for banning the use of side / parking lights on cars that are being driven. These were banned in Germany donkeys years ago for the very reason that a vehicle with one defective light could be mistaken for a cyclist, not great for the pedestrian with less than perfect vision crossing the road.
[slight thread diversion, apologies]

andyfraser

Über Member
I saw an unlit pedestrian once.
You may joke but a road I use to get home when I'm working late has no street lights whatsoever. It's barely used by cars (only really people who live along the road) and is downhill in a homeward direction. I'm lit up like a Christmas tree but I'm constantly dodging pedestrians, dogs and unlit bikes who can't be seen until you're practically on top of them. It's actually quite scary.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
What about the law abiding cyclist who collides with the unlit one? Is that their fault as well?
If the unlit one is still cloaked when the law abiding one hits them then the law-abider has my sympathy. It beats me how the Romulans ever built an empire with all their ships ramming one another willy-nilly.

Otherwise if the unlit one is uncloaked before the moment of impact then the law abider is a law abiding nobber with cockwomble tendencies.

Surely the law abider has lights which illuminate the unlit? Or is it an hours-of-darkness version of "beware the hun in the sun"?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
You may joke but a road I use to get home when I'm working late has no street lights whatsoever. It's barely used by cars (only really people who live along the road) and is downhill in a homeward direction. I'm lit up like a Christmas tree but I'm constantly dodging pedestrians, dogs and unlit bikes who can't be seen until you're practically on top of them. It's actually quite scary.
Then, and I'm sorry to be harsh, either slow the chuff down or sort your chuffin' front lights out. Capisce?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Chuff. I've got to walk down a completely unlit road now and I'll be dressed all in black. If I smile will the other road users see me?

andyfraser

Über Member
Then, and I'm sorry to be harsh, either slow the chuff down or sort your chuffin' front lights out. Capisce?
There's nothing wrong with my front lights or my speed. It's people thinking because it's a quiet road and I'm on a bike then I'll just move around them but I can't see them. Because this is actually a road and not a cycle path or shared path I should be able to expect pedestrians to be at the side of the road. Cars do still use this road from time to time.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Chuff. I've got to walk down a completely unlit road now and I'll be dressed all in black. If I smile will the other road users see me?
Not sure - perhaps sing "Onward Christian Soldiers" or some such, so they a) hear you and b) think you're the local vicar, and try to avoid running you down for fear of angering Him upstairs.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
There's nothing wrong with my front lights or my speed. It's people thinking because it's a quiet road and I'm on a bike then I'll just move around them but I can't see them. Because this is actually a road and not a cycle path or shared path I should be able to expect pedestrians to be at the side of the road. Cars do still use this road from time to time.
Then you are going too fast, or there is something wrong with your night vision, or your lights...

... And out of interest on what basis should you be able to expect pedestrians to be at the side of the road. Last time I looked they can walk down the middle if they want to. Sure you haven't been at the petrol?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Not sure - perhaps sing "Onward Christian Soldiers" or some such, so they a) hear you and b) think you're the local vicar, and try to avoid running you down for fear of angering Him upstairs.

They all know the local vicar is

a) a woman
b) about 4' 2" tall

No way will they mistake me for her, even if I sing in falsetto.

(but clearly I survived to post again)

tyred

Legendary Member

If your teeth are white and shiny, then their headlamps should reflect of them when you smile thus providing instant and natural hi-vis:thumbsup:

Top Bottom