Children and adults with no bike lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
So not really "nowhere" then, but somewhere obvious and visible?

Mmm! This takes me back to when i made my first few posts. If i remember correctly, i argue that unlit cyclists are a menace and you and Aidy argue that those who fail to see them are more of a menace!

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Mmm! This takes me back to when i made my first few posts. If i remember correctly, i argue that unlit cyclists are a menace and you and Aidy argue that those who fail to see them are more of a menace!
Yup. On account of the menace being the one wielding the lethal power, not the fairly harmless one happening to incur the displeasure of the self-righteous.

swansonj

Guru
I was waiting for this thread to appear before posting this:

Returning through Heathrow Immigration last week, I saw this notice over one of the gates:

"In the interests of safety, staff are requested to remove their hi viz before passing through this gate".

I would have photographed it only I suspect you get shot (or invited to partake of a full body search) if you take a camera out there.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
They ride off the pavement onto the road for example. Is this leading to "you should be looking out for them"?
When I was taught to drive, some 20 years ago, the guidance was that at night, or during other periods of reduced visibility, it was the driver's responsibility to slow down, and be particularly observant. Living in a fairly rural area now, it's good advice - there aren't always pavements, and livestock doesn't always stay in its fields, before we even consider people who should have their lights on but don't.

So yes, in short.

JU
TWOCing a TARDIS

Just to be pedantic....

Dr Who did in fact steal the TARDIS, I wonder whether (with clever use of a sonic screwdriver and a tear in the time-space continuum) if he puts it back at the same time as he originally stole it that an offence has been committed?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
What about the law abiding cyclist who collides with the unlit one? Is that their fault as well?

the unlit what? a tree maybe? if so, yes.

more seriously though... those who argue that it's up to other road users to pay extra special attention looking out for unlit 'whatever' at night... do they or don't they use a working set of lights at night?

Whilst i maintain that unlit cyclists are not invisible and don't usually appear from nowhere, especially if the other road user has a stonking set of car headlights illuminating the road... i wouldn't dream of going out at night without my bike lights on. I do have some responsibility for my own safety and whilst the onus is on other road users not to hit me, i can't assume that all other road users are completely attentive all of the time. In fact it's wise to assume that all other road users are anything but attentive.

In a few months time my morning commute will be dark... very dark. And flying in the face of all my stylistic leanings, I may well be donning a hi-vis vest in addition to my two back lights, two three front lights, ankle, pedal and pannier reflectors.

Stay safe, be seen is a good message for vulnerable road users... but the problem is when drivers walk away from a collision, free from prosecution due to the infallible excuse of SMIDSY and therefore reinforce the opinion that they don't need to pay that much attention.

Instead of 'stay safe, be seen', a better message would be 'drive safe and look out of your fecking windscreen you muppet!'

jhawk

Veteran
Not necessarily another 'no lights' post, bht in the last few days, I have had to go around people riding on my side of the road when they are supposed to be on the opposite side!

Usually ends with me first spotting that they're riding towards me, then motioning for them to get on the other side of the road. They don't move, I usually say something like, "Other side of the road, ya f*cking idiot!" As I swerve to avoid said idiot.

Top Bottom