Children and adults with no bike lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Then you are going too fast, or there is something wrong with your night vision, or your lights...
... And out of interest on what basis should you be able to expect pedestrians to be at the side of the road. Last time I looked they can walk down the middle if they want to. Sure you haven't been at the petrol?
Shouldn't you be hoping they are following the highway code and walking towards the traffic? :-)

I'm pretty sure car drivers have been exonerated for hitting unlit pedestrians in dark clothing on unlit lanes in the dark. It's back to the duty of care argument. While I can legally dress like a ninja and walk down the middle of an unlit lane, if I do that and get mown down by a car that driver is going to be very unlucky to be told it's all their fault. Part of the onus is on me as the pedestrian to look out for my own safety. I can't just presume not hitting me is everyone else's responsibility but not being hit isn't mine.

tyred

Legendary Member
I'm all geared up for winter riding. Electric lights - pah! Anyone got a match?
Bike-with-Candle-Light-Bike-Museum.jpg

swansonj

Guru
I wouldn't dream of leaving home this time of year without a good rear light, I have a Moon shield that is just awesome it cost me £35 last year and its chargeable but planet x have them for £17!!! no excuses http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIARSURRL/areo-shield-usb-rechargable-rear-light
This is a little unfair of me, as it is obvious what you meant, so apologies. But you have inadvertently beautifully illustrated one of the points at issue. You say "I wouldn't dream of leaving home without a good rear light". But I'll bet you do just that, frequently, every time you leave the home on foot. Of course you meant "by bike" - but one of the points at issue is why bikes are instinctively and almost universally held to a different standard to other un-powered road users.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Of course you meant "by bike" - but one of the points at issue is why bikes are instinctively and almost universally held to a different standard to other un-powered road users.
Excuse my ignorance, but don't bicycles tend to get lumped with 'non-motorised vehicles' though? Isn't that quite a different category?

swansonj

Guru
Excuse my ignorance, but don't bicycles tend to get lumped with 'non-motorised vehicles' though? Isn't that quite a different category?
If you're a pedestrian, then a bicycle is more like a car, and there might be a case for the bicycle having a "be seen" front light. But if you're a car, the bicycle is more like a pedestrian (or animal or tree) - and the context of my post was rear lights not front.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
In my youth I was cycling to work one winters morning and stopped at a junction where a copper was directing traffic. I sat there trying to look nonchalant because I knew my front light wasn't working. He strolled over and fixing me with a steely stare he tapped the offending light which came on as he did so. I didn't dare laugh.
I'd have said "thank you" at least. :rofl:

Wafer

Veteran
This is a little unfair of me, as it is obvious what you meant, so apologies. But you have inadvertently beautifully illustrated one of the points at issue. You say "I wouldn't dream of leaving home without a good rear light". But I'll bet you do just that, frequently, every time you leave the home on foot. Of course you meant "by bike" - but one of the points at issue is why bikes are instinctively and almost universally held to a different standard to other un-powered road users.

To me that is unfair because it doesn't seem like a good comparison. I'm sure this has been said before, and I doubt it will change your mind, but walking along a pavement as a pedestrian in the dark is a little different to cycling along a road in the dark, surely?
If I go out walking on the local unlit lanes with no pavements when it's dark I would certainly prefer to have a torch with me. If I didn't have a torch I would be nervous on the road and try to find ways to avoid it. Indeed this led to me have issues with a herd of cows in a field a couple of weeks ago (they don't have hi viz or lights).

As a road user I think there is some responsibility on you to make yourself visible. Whether I'm being a driver a cyclist or a pedestrian I expect other people on the road to make some effort in the same way I will make some effort. Give people a good chance to see you rather than a little chance.

What really annoys me is the pesky pedestrians, no HiViz, no lights, yet they expect to be seen and avoided.

Personally if a pedestrian is unlit and not wearing HiViz they deserve what they get!

sgl5gjr

There were only 4 of us last Thursday on out weekly evening rideout...... obvious it would be dark when we ended our ride, so we were were all hi viz'ed and lit up...... surprisingly we had 3 instances...where cars stopped and let us pass or cross in front of them...result......
Also we have quite a few Eastern EU people living this way......and a great many cycle and they are all lit up at night, shame to many of the cyclists from the town tho' seem to "get caught out" and are not lit up..........

raleighnut

Legendary Member
What really annoys me is the pesky pedestrians, no HiViz, no lights, yet they expect to be seen and avoided.

Personally if a pedestrian is unlit and not wearing HiViz they deserve what they get!
Even in the 70s hikers were advised to wear light coloured clothing and walk facing any oncoming vehicles and to flash their torch briefly towards any they saw 'but do not shine directly at the driver so you may dazzle them' (Pifco/Ever Ready torches.:rofl:) on unlit roads FFS.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I saw a few cringe worthy incidents last night! Some boys flying down a main road on those BMX bikes,all without lights or reflective stuff,and a bloke with 2 flashing red lights.One at the back and one on the front of his helmet!

up hill struggle

heading to the gym this morning @4:30 im driving around 55mph on a unlit 70mph dual carrigeway I came across I fella with no lights ( front or rear ) same with reflectors including pedal reflectors, dark shoes, dark trousers, black jacket & black backpack around 100 feet ahead of me.

he did have excellent road position though, but to be honest the only reason I saw him was a car came into view coming towards me & I saw his silhouette against the headlights of the car, it wasn't a problem as at 4:30 am the carriage way was empty, but I cant help wonder how close I would have gotten to him before seeing him had the on coming car not come into view or If I would have seen him at all.

I can kinda understand somebody who goes out for an evening ride at this time of year & gets caught out by the early nights drawing in not having any lights on there bike but I cant really understand somebody who goes out riding @4:30 am on an unlit 70mph carriageway in dark clothing without even a reflector even if they cant be bothered nipping into Tesco & buy one of there £2.50 rear lights at least fit a reflector or put on a light coloured coat to increase your chances of being seen.

Top Bottom