Chinese clothing - any opinions/experiences?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Search the forums, this came up recently and I'm sure whoever it was decided to buy, so you could get their opinion.

My own personal experience was positive: £30 for Roubaix long sleeve jersey AND bib tights delivered (from Ringwise 2009).

The sizing was decidedly Italian (tight on the thighs, biceps and forearms) and in a direct comparison (I also have the genuine article) you can see that the Chinese version is not of the same quality. They arrived more quickly than goods from the USA: less than three weeks (over Christmas)

You need a lot of patience to grab an auction bargain: they definitely bid-up their own items, so it's rare to get something for much less than the BIN.

Overall I think they are value for money and I'd buy again.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I don't understand this 'Chinese' suppliers business.

95% (wild guestimation) of what we buy in this country is made in China - most of it just wears the UK retailers name on it. So what's the difference between buying something from a UK retailer or from a Chinese seller. It all comes from the same place.

The only issue is warranty and returns, but that's a chance you take

OP
OP
xpc316e

xpc316e

Veteran
I know that most of our clothing, whether cycling related or not, comes from China. I was wondering whether it is all low-quality knock offs, or whether it is the factories making stuff for respected brands and then selling a bit on ebay to boost their profits.

Bobtoo

Über Member
I reckon you'll find a bit of both on eBay.

I tend to look for UK suppliers for my Chinese knock-offs (mostly electronic gizmos for me) purely because I'm too impatient to wait, and also because there's a bit more chance of dealing with it if you get stiffed. It costs a little bit more, but usually not much. I tend to view the purchase price as a gamble and avoid buying anything that costs more than I can afford to lose.

It's worth remembering that even respected brands (in general, not specifically cycling) aren't immune to the lure of cheap stuff, they're not always too selective about what they stick their name on.

jay clock

Massive member
I bought some and it seems of very acceptable quality. First lot was shirt and non bib shorts as I could not find the bib ones, but then I ordered a second lot with bib shorts. Approx £30 per short and shirt combo I think. bestxj58 was one of the ebayer.

The stuff I wanted was not even available in the US/EU as it was a previous season special (BMC Hincapie US champs kit).

jay clock

Massive member
Sorry.also I followed the sellers sizing and had no probs (ie did not have to order a XXXXL to get an L etc). They also allowed mixed sizes when buying a set of shorts/top

Top Bottom