Chipped stone hits car window - who is liable??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
With this one though would I be right in thinking it was a side window as it shattered cos most windscreens are laminated nowadays so would just crack whereas side windows are merely toughened so shatter. Would then windscreen insurance cover it.
Windscreen insurance covered it when our side window was broken a couple of years ago, although the insco (Admiral) were utterly utterly incompetent at sorting out the claim and had we left it up to them we'd have had to put up with crash wrap for the three months it took them to find a replacement.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Windscreen insurance covered it when our side window was broken a couple of years ago, although the insco (Admiral) were utterly utterly incompetent at sorting out the claim and had we left it up to them we'd have had to put up with crash wrap for the three months it took them to find a replacement.
Just wasn't sure as I've never owned a car, working as a Saturday lad and then as an apprentice then a technician at a SAAB main dealer cured me of that fetish (That costs HOW much)
2 wheels good 4 wheels bad 6 or more dangerous

OP
OP
R

regthellama

[QUOTE 2988316, member: 45"]Yeah right. And then the car stereo fell into your pannier.[/QUOTE]

It was only a tape deck so I didn't bother with it :thumbsup:

I was just thinking of joining British Cycling, or getting insurance... Oh well, sod's law!

At the moment I just had a quote for a repair at £95, so I don't really mind paying half of that if it comes to it.

OP
OP
R

regthellama

The owner currently. I've only spoken to them once and they hadn't even spoken to their insurers at that point, so I wasn't overly impressed. They were complaining because their excess is £200 and I resisted the urge to point out that that wasn't my fault!

Brandane

Legendary Member
At the moment I just had a quote for a repair at £95, so I don't really mind paying half of that if it comes to it.
Why are YOU bothering with quotes and the like? It was the car owners misfortune that his window was hit by a stone ACCIDENTALLY kicked up by your bike tyre. It was nobodys fault, so it is down to the car owner to get it fixed, and if there are costs involved to him; well, he needs to change his insurance company.

OP
OP
R

regthellama

Well the main reason for looking for a quote was if they came back to me and got difficult about it - at least this way I have more ammunition.

a stone pinged from my tyre and hit a car window, completely smashing it.

this is very odd

OP
OP
R

regthellama

Well I haven't actually said that I'd pay. I think they expected me to want to, but if I hear from them again I will say that I was only hoping to help them out with their insurance claim.

OP
OP
R

regthellama

Nope, the car was very much parked - luckily really as if there had been anyone driving they would have ended up with a stone hitting them pretty forcefully in the face. The stone hit the driver's window at a roughly 90° angle and went straight through. Being safety glass the whole window just shattered completely, but having looked up similar incidents on the internet it's definitely not unheard of.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've been hit on the side of the nose by a stone flipped up by a car. Hurt lots, lots of blood. Had to stop and ask a homeowner to phone an ambulance as I was about 18 miles from home in the middle of no-where, and there was a little too much blood pumping out to carry on cycling home. Still have the scar !

D

Deleted member 26715

I was cycling through a private car park with a public right of way when a stone pinged from my tyre and hit a car window, completely smashing it..
this is very odd
No it's not, in fact it's an old joyrider/radio snatcher trick, if they walk around with a hammer in their pocket they can be pulled by Policeman Badger for 'going equipped' (I think the charge is) but if they have a pocket full of small pebbles they can't. The force to break the window is not particularly great & simply flicking a pebble will cause the side windows to shatter. The other favourite tool is an automatic centre punch if you are familiar with them again it takes a little more explanation why you would have one in your pocket if you get pulled.

Alan...
p.s. This is all 3rd party knowledge I have never broken into a car without the owners permission.

Top Bottom