Chipped stone hits car window - who is liable??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rouge79

I was only doing about 10mph because a lady with her toddler were ambling across the road in front. I heard a pop and definitely felt the stone come out from under my tyre. A split second later the window crumpled! Anyway, I haven't heard anything from them today, so maybe now that they've had the sense to phone their insurers they'll know the deal.

It's nice that you were concerned but as others have said sod all to do with you and TBH you should have just carried on where you were cycling to. You could be giving yourself a whole load of grief by getting involved and giving personal details that you not needed to do.

IF you had crashed your bike into the car then thats a different story but as no contact was made its an "act of dog"

jarlrmai

Veteran
When you are filtering and it hits a boy racer's door panel, pretend to have just been shot.

Last edited:

Rouge79

When you are filtering and it hit's a boy racer's door panel, pretend to have just been shot.

LOL don't thats cruel :gun:

A few times I've been overtaking a car both at slow filtering and fast overtaking and have heard that loud crack as a stone from my wheel has hit their side panel. Kept eyes straight ahead and pretended it didn't happen :whistle:

Hello and sorry if this in the wrong section, but...
I was cycling through a private car park with a public right of way when a stone pinged from my tyre and hit a car window, completely smashing it. I was going quickly and was obviously being negligent. Who is liable for this though? Would the owner's insurance pay up without charging excess?
Thanks for your help.

In my opinion if the stone was part of debris from road damage, potholes etc then the authority responsible for maintaining the surface should be liable. Otherwise its a blameless accident.

[QUOTE 2988172, member: 30090"]God[/QUOTE]

Who?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
What about when a stone flies off like a bullet from your 120 psi road tyres and cracks against a car door leaving a paint chip. I cringe when i hear it but it's quite impressive isn't it?!:whistle:
My earlier post happened on my sprint bike with conti grand prix supersonics at 140 and its pinged quite a few since. Does'nt seem to happen with any of my other bikes which have more normal tyres though.:thumbsup:

[QUOTE 2990860, member: 30090"]An Incident like the one in the OP could be classed as an act of God.[/QUOTE]

Who is this god you speak of?

Crankarm

Guru
Can the driver prove that what ever hit the glass of his car causing it to shatter was 1) a stone and 2) it was done by your bike? If not forget it and let him sue. Do not admit or make any offer to pay as he can claim off his insurance for replacement glass.

Top Bottom