Chipped stone hits car window - who is liable??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
No it's not, in fact it's an old joyrider/radio snatcher trick, if they walk around with a hammer in their pocket they can be pulled by Policeman Badger for 'going equipped' (I think the charge is) but if they have a pocket full of small pebbles they can't. The force to break the window is not particularly great & simply flicking a pebble will cause the side windows to shatter. The other favourite tool is an automatic centre punch if you are familiar with them again it takes a little more explanation why you would have one in your pocket if you get pulled.

Alan...
p.s. This is all 3rd party knowledge I have never broken into a car without the owners permission.
The sharp end of a spark plug is another useful tool.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
No it's not, in fact it's an old joyrider/radio snatcher trick, if they walk around with a hammer in their pocket they can be pulled by Policeman Badger for 'going equipped' (I think the charge is) but if they have a pocket full of small pebbles they can't. The force to break the window is not particularly great & simply flicking a pebble will cause the side windows to shatter.

A favoured option round these parts was (is) fragments of ceramic insulation from spark plugs.

GC

Just echoing what User has said. I'd never expect another road user to contribute in these circumstances.
I suppose that's why insurance policies keep windscreen cover separate and without loss of NCB. It's act of god territory.

I've had a few cracked windscreens driving at speed on duel carriageways, but it's only ever cracked it and certainly hasn't come through. We are talking about the windscreen aren't we?

P.S. yes very familiar with auto centre punch and yes I've heard of them used to break into cars but on the side window to then lean in and open the door, not for breaking the front wind screen.

D

Deleted member 26715

I've had a few cracked windscreens driving at speed on duel carriageways, but it's only ever cracked it and certainly hasn't come through. We are talking about the windscreen aren't we?
OP never mentioned windscreen & clarified later that it was a side window

Alan...

vickster

Legendary Member
Normally the windscreen excess is lower than the main excess, £200 sounds high, around £80 more normal?

buggi

Bird Saviour
i don't think you would even be liable if you were driving your car coz it happened on a private car park. I remember this happened to my brother when he had a collision years ago, he couldn't claim off the other driver.

what makes you think it came from your wheel? I just cant see that riding at a normal speed would do this, would the stone even get the required lift? seriously, are you sure someone didn't try to shoot you with a pellet gun, and hit the car instead, and you just presumed your bike kicked up a stone?

buggi

Bird Saviour
sorry I was assuming the car was stationary ...I guess it was moving of course. Was the car park thing that threw me ;)
if the car was moving, don't pay. If you get a stone chip in your windscreen this is an indication you are driving too close to the vehicle in front. He shouldn't have been up your arse and this sounds suspect anyway. How do you know his windscreen wasn't already damaged and he's took the opportunity to blame you. Stone chip from a push bike... Really?

edit: side window? Really?? How far away from the car was you? Next to it and a stone flew up at that angle? Car windows do not break that easily. I know, i once took a crow bar to one!

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
if the car was moving, don't pay. If you get a stone chip in your windscreen this is an indication you are driving too close to the vehicle in front. He shouldn't have been up your arse and this sounds suspect anyway. How do you know his windscreen wasn't already damaged and he's took the opportunity to blame you. Stone chip from a push bike... Really?

edit: side window? Really?? How far away from the car was you? Next to it and a stone flew up at that angle? Car windows do not break that easily. I know, i once took a crow bar to one!

I believe the car was parked and unattended, some 4 metres away.

GC

buggi

Bird Saviour
its up to you. If it makes you feel better and you can afford it, get your own quote and put half the cost, you are under no obligation to pay and they should be thankful. Don't get ripped off just coz you feel bad.

OP
OP
R

regthellama

I was only doing about 10mph because a lady with her toddler were ambling across the road in front. I heard a pop and definitely felt the stone come out from under my tyre. A split second later the window crumpled! Anyway, I haven't heard anything from them today, so maybe now that they've had the sense to phone their insurers they'll know the deal.

Top Bottom