Chollerford death - man with sleep disorder shouldn't have been on the road.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

puffinbilly

Veteran

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
This story is appalling and particularly concerns me since I was in that area on the day of the crash. I was cycling in that area and heard of a serious accident involving a cyclist later the same day, however when I heard the details it sends shivers down you - knowing that there are people who will drive whatever danger they may present to others on the road.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/oct/19/neil-urwin-sleep-disorder-cyclist-andrew-charlton

Terrible, the cyclist had no chance, you cant plan for someone like that.

The report was doing so well until the end, they just had to say...

"He was wearing a helmet at the time and his bicycle was in perfect working condition."

Lonestar

Veteran
Reckon there (are) a lot of people out there driving with some sort of disorder which impairs their driving.

Last edited:

steve50

Disenchanted Member

"He was wearing a helmet at the time and his bicycle was in perfect working condition."

they were simply stating the fact that the neither the cyclist nor his bike were in any way to blame for this tragedy....................

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Why does this have to turn into a discussion about the wearing of helmets, the thread is about a cyclist , a father of three children who tragically got killed through no fault of his own,it doesn't matter a toss what he was or wasn't wearing he is still dead and his children and family have to live with the consequences of the reckless actions of a man who had been advised not to drive.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
It wasnt my intent to cause a debate, he died in a culture that often tries to blame the victim in this situation. Im sure if he hadnt been wearing a helmet, it would be mentioned, and his 'recklessness' would be pointed at.

As you said it doesn't matter a toss what he was wearing and it annoys me whenever a tragic death like this occurs, they always reference it as if it matters.

I didnt mean to derail things though, it just bothers me.

OP
OP
puffinbilly

puffinbilly

Veteran
You might like to know a little about the family's reaction - truly inspirational - not anger or bitterness but concern that others might benefit. Perhaps something we could all learn from.
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...ws-tribute-north-shields-dad-of-three-7635482

Drago

Legendary Member
Truly awful that an innocent person should lose their life due to the reckless and selfish behaviour of another.

As for the muppet driver, I wonder if his sleep problems would abate somewhat if he wasn't so fat and didn't smoke.

I know where you're coming from, but in this case it's probably quite a good tactical move by the prosecutor immediately stops dead any counter claim from the defence that the cyclist might have in some way contributed towards his own misfortune. Unfortunately, Courts can and do fall for, "yeah, sure, I ploughed him down in my artic, but if he'd had a helmet you wouldn't be trying me for 'death by' but rather simple careless or dangerous."

Sounds to me like the prosecution are stitching millado up tight as a drum with this one, so lets just hope the sentence reflects the deliberate and calculate decision to drive on the road against professional medical advice.

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Reckon there a lot of people out there driving with some sort of disorder which impairs their driving.
I agree. But there are far more who simply drive automatically in a state of unconsciousness which ill prepares them for the unexpected. And cyclists are often the unexpected.

I feel they represent a far great risk to my well-being when awheel in UK than those behind the wheel with recognised disorders.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

Strange they didn't feel the need to mention his trousers or shoes or gloves.

Top Bottom