Choosing a cycle computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MajorMantra

Yes, I know there are lots of threads about this but we all know it's more fun to start new ones.;)

I'm thinking of getting a cycle computer. Pretty well my only requirement (apart from the usual speed and distance stuff, obviously) is that it have a decent backlight for night riding. I was thinking of this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sigma-Bc160...m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0NWJ2BS6WBESX64V7CBE

It's a little pricy though, just wondering if there's anything cheaper with a backlight that works well.

Cheers,
Matthew

OP
OP
MajorMantra

MajorMantra

User3143 said:
Have you Decathlons website? they do some good computers at a good price.

Thanks, I hadn't 'til now. They do have some nice cheap computers but as far as I can tell none of them have backlights.

By the way, does anyone have any comments on the Sigma I mentioned above?

Cheers,
Matthew

Will1985

Über Member
I've got the wireless Sigma 1606 with cadence. You can get them a lot cheaper than at Amazon too - Ribble have the wired version for £20 and often geargurl on eBay is another cheap place.

They are good solid computers with plenty of functions and used by several ProTour teams. I find cadence is very useful and I've just moved one of mine over my fixed as I've moved onto a Garmin 705 for long riding.
Backlight is handy - activated by holding down the top and bottom buttons on the left side. It times out after 10 seconds or so and then you can press any of the 4 buttons to get the light back - not that fiddly.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've got the Wired Sigma 1606 - I can't say I ever use the backlight as most of my cycling is during daylight hours, and at night I don't care what speed I'm doing mostly as long as it records it. And I do like the cadence feature but for some reason I don't have it on the bike I mostly ride (mental note to self - must fit it some time).

OP
OP
MajorMantra

MajorMantra

Will1985 said:
I've got the wireless Sigma 1606 with cadence. You can get them a lot cheaper than at Amazon too - Ribble have the wired version for £20 and often geargurl on eBay is another cheap place.

They are good solid computers with plenty of functions and used by several ProTour teams. I find cadence is very useful and I've just moved one of mine over my fixed as I've moved onto a Garmin 705 for long riding.
Backlight is handy - activated by holding down the top and bottom buttons on the left side. It times out after 10 seconds or so and then you can press any of the 4 buttons to get the light back - not that fiddly.

Thanks for the reply, I didn't realize there was that big a price difference. I was looking at Amazon because I have a gift certificate to use but it's not worth wasting money for, I can just sit on it for now.

Actually I'd really like a backlight that can be toggled on and off, rather than working on a timer. Does such a thing actually exist? I seem to end up riding in the dark or near-dark rather a lot so this would be kind of nice.

Matthew

OP
OP
MajorMantra

MajorMantra

I've had 3 Sigmas in the past. They all stopped working when the rain came, and didn't start again.

Gee, that's encouraging.:wacko:

Also looking at the Blackburn Delphi 4.0, though it also has a timer. I guess because of the tiny batteries these things use it makes sense not to have a backlight that stays on. I wonder if anyone makes one that runs on AAAs...

Matthew

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Have you considered using a head torch, also useful for seeing where you are going (I am not being facetious, it is just something which works for me).

OP
OP
MajorMantra

MajorMantra

Hairy Jock said:
Have you considered using a head torch, also useful for seeing where you are going (I am not being facetious, it is just something which works for me).

I actually already have a Tesco Cree strapped to my helmet which would probably do, I just thought a backlight would be a more elegant way to see the display. Maybe I should just buy a cheapo computer and be done with it.

Matthew

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've had 3 Sigmas in the past. They all stopped working when the rain came, and didn't start again.

I've had my 2 Sigma's a year now and did 2,700 last year in all sorts of weathers including drizzle, rain and the inevitable cats and dogs. My two haven't stopped working yet. (Clue tomorrow lots of ranting and shouting:biggrin:)

Top Bottom