Choosing a Frame Type and Size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
mickle said:
£36blimmin7? Cor blimey!

yeah I blame the Euro fx rate...........

roadiewill

mickle said:
'Effective' top-tube (centre of seat post to the (top) centre of the head tube) + stem length, measured horizontally = reach.

ie centre of seat post to centre of bars.

Known as 'effective' top-tube because many bikes don't have horizontal top tubes these days. The length of a sloping top-tube means nothing when sizing a bike. You measure it as if it has a horizontal top-tube.

oohh I have a reach of 695mmxx(

hubgearfreak

Über Member
there's these on ebay. the first one especially looks OK except for a hopeless back wheel - which won't matter to you;)

170307030724 250381878574 110356832411 310125958051

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

the £367 is mainly the price of the SRAM hub gear and shifter, £293 for them. I wasn't unhappy with another £74 for the rims, spokes, build and delivery. I was originally going for the Rohloff built into a wheel and that was looking at £1300 by the time all was done.

I'm definitely leaning towards the complete Roadrat, I like the idea of having a spare rear wheel for SS. If I go for this I'm also thinking on a new front wheel with a schmidt dyno hub, but that'll probably have to wait for next Winter.

Is it really that hard to get a wheel off with track ends, surely it's the same for anyone riding these fixed or SS?

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

great links HGF, out of curiosity how do you know all of them have horizontal dropouts? If steel can I assume that dropout width can be re-set to accomodate 135mm?

Really like the first one on e-bay, suspect the final price will be pretty high, but have it on my watch list. Not so keen on the next 2, but the last one looks like it'll go pretty cheap, it's also very close to me. This is the Dawes Civic, I'm trying to find some old records on this model. If cheap enough I could have this buffed, repsrayed and built around my new wheel well inside budget. How would I know things like headset size etc?

hubgearfreak

Über Member
MacBludgeon said:
the last one looks like it'll go pretty cheap, it's also very close to me. This is the Dawes Civic, I'm trying to find some old records on this model. If cheap enough I could have this buffed, repsrayed and built around my new wheel well inside budget. How would I know things like headset size etc?

i had one. the positronic gears must have been at the very start of indexing (at least for dérailleurs :biggrin:) AFAIR, it rode fine. if it's near to you, why not go have a look? as for the dropouts, you'll need to see the bike, ask the seller, or get further photos, but just experience says to me that they're likely to be.
the BB, headset & etc. would all be standard
if i were you, i certainly wouldn't pay more than £50 for that, and then ride it round as is for a bit to see if you like it, before investing in new paint.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

found some bumph on the frame material, Reynolds 500, not well rated, think I'll give that one a miss. However am still watching the first one and have PM'd the guy selling the Dawes on CTC....cheers.....Al

hubgearfreak

Über Member
mickle said:
531 is manganese vanadium or some such, 501 is not-japanese chromoly, 500 is one step up from mild.

501 & 500 are the same metal, but 501 is butted.
500 isn't the same as hi tensile, carbolite, 18/23, mild or whatever people want to call gas pipe

I wouldn't be put off a 500 or 501 framed bike at the right price & size, just because it doesn't have the snob value of 'higher' materials

Reynolds-tubing-sizes1.jpg

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Excellent info guys...HGF. great table, have now found the Reynolds site and some others and now 'know' things about steel I never expected to.

Re the bike in 500 steel, what differences, if any, would I notice over another steel like 531/653/853?

Top Bottom