Choosing a Frame Type and Size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickM

Veteran
Seen this, MacB?

MacBludgeon said:
...Is it really that hard to get a wheel off with track ends, surely it's the same for anyone riding these fixed or SS?

No... but the best set-up is an eccentric bottom bracket with vertical ends - chain tension is unaffected by wheel removal and replacement.

Bikes/frames which have EBBs are:

GT Peace
Salsa Juan Solo
Singular Peregrine - mmmmmmm...
Van Nicholas Zion Singlespeed (well, dreaming is free...)

Alternatively, these doobries convert any frame with vertical dropouts to EBB working (but require that you use a Hollowtech II type chainset).

Wheel size choice is not quite as simple now as it was before disc brakes (you do have the disc version of the hub, I hope?) - you can put 700c wheels in a frame designed for 26" wheels, but you have to watch the bottom bracket height if you do.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
thanks Nick, my original intent was to fit wheel to current bike so didn't order the disc brake compatible version. The new frame/bike idea began when I was looking at chain tensioning options. I kept coming across comments along the lines of, much easier if you have horizontal dropouts. My first choice was the Excentriker, which is £107.65 from UkBikestore. I couldn't find much in the way of reviews on it and, TBO, didn't really understand what cranks I'd need to get. I couldn't see single ring ones, didn't know what would fit, some of them seemed really expensive and I didn't understand re chainlines/spacers.

I like the bike I have if the Excentriker would work, and someone can explain cranks, then all my problems are solved!

hubgearfreak

Über Member
NickM said:
the best set-up is an eccentric bottom bracket with vertical ends - chain tension is unaffected by wheel removal and replacement.

that's a set up, but whether that's the best i'm not so sure?
i don't find it difficult at all to get the back wheel in with the correct chain tension

as for rear facing track ends, i'd imagine that the mudguard is the issue more than the chain removing thing. if there's clearance at the back end of the mudguard, or it's not full length to the end, then you'd be fine

MacBludgeon said:
so didn't order the disc brake compatible version.

doesn't the cover come off to reveal 6 bolt holes? ie. disc specific is the same thing as the freewheel, but without a cover?

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Ah jeez guys, you've got me thinking again, looking at cranks, EBB's, trackends, frames, chainelines, but the mudguards idea has just stopped me in my tracks........numbnuts here hadn't even thought of that impact with trackends. Plus Cotic have come back to me and verified that their forks aren't compatible with the Schmidt dynohub.

Just checked the spec on the IM9, and chainline is rated at 48.8mm, so trotted out to the garage to measure Giant. The middle ring, 42t, looks on the money for this range, certainly on a rule it is between 45-50mm. I'm guessing spacers can be used on chainring bolts to fine tune chainline? This gets me back thinking that working with what I have, and adding a chain tensioner, might be my best bet. At least until I know I like the hub gears.

The more I get into this bike lark the more I don't know, more riding and less thinking might be the answer!

hubgearfreak

Über Member
MacBludgeon said:
This gets me back thinking that working with what I have, and adding a chain tensioner, might be my best bet.

buying the dawes would be a better bet. much cheaper than a ebb;)
At least until I know I like the hub gears.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

hubgearfreak said:
buying the dawes would be a better bet. much cheaper than a ebb;)
At least until I know I like the hub gears.

More confusion, I'm going with a surly singulator on the Giant until I know. Will keep plugging away looking for an old bike/frame. Had a bright spark earlier, and am going to ask around at my golf club. Average age is quite old, bound to be some goodies in sheds/garages.

NickM

Veteran
MacBludgeon said:
More confusion, I'm going with a surly singulator on the Giant until I know...
Sounds like the best policy to me. These things are best taken slowly if you are to get exactly what you want in the end - some of my projects gestate for years!

Cranks to suit an Excentriker need to use a Hollowtech II (or maybe Truvativ/SRAM/Bontrager GXP) bottom bracket system. Hollowtech II is compatible with FSA Mega Exo and Race Face. The obvious chainset choice for single ring use is Shimano Alfine:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-...th-Single-Chainguard-170-mm--Silver-17419.htm

(may not be the cheapest source).

Alfine chainline is 42mm (despite the Alfine hub being 135mm ORLN). Don't buy the chainset before checking that your SRAM hub can be set up with this chainline (dished sprocket? repositioned spacer?) !

Top Bottom