1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chris Grayling doors a cyclist

Discussion in 'Advocacy and Cycling Safety' started by growingvegetables, 16 Dec 2016.

Tags:
  1. growingvegetables

growingvegetables Veteran

Remember this headline?
    "Cycle lanes cause problems for road users, says Transport Secretary"

Well look at him now .... https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-cyclist-flying-with-his-car-door-video-shows .

Yup, that's the man who said "cyclists ignore red lights and road signs"; "good cycling is responsible cycling"; and (piece de resistance),“I don’t think all the cycle lanes in London have been designed as well as they should have been. There are places where they perhaps cause too much of a problem for road users and they could have been designed in a smarter way.”

Words fail me. Wota****.

Adrian, Rooster1 and Drago like this.
  2. Marmion

Marmion Guru

Entitled dick behaves like an entitled dick shocker

Lonestar likes this.
  3. Reiver

Reiver Whistling down the hills, tearing up the climbs

welcome back @growingvegetables , you have been a way a while.

Transport minister driving about in over sized over polluting vehicle knocking cyclists over - can't say I'm remotely surprised.

NorthernDave likes this.
  4. oldfatfool

oldfatfool Veteran

To be fair cycling up the inside is asking for trouble. Passenger in the rear opening door onto pavement to get out as no mirrors etc doubt he can be accused of recklessness

5. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Staff Member

From the report I read I don't think he did all he could to check the cyclist was ok or his bike.

Maybe this accident will make him think a little more about cyclists, he certainly is going to have to be careful what he says in future as this will be flung in his face in future I imagine.

raleighnut likes this.
  6. You mean cycling in a cycle lane?

mjr likes this.
  7. rualexander

rualexander Veteran

I think the driver is responsible for ensuring passengers exit safely and don't endager other road users in doing so?

Dayvo, mjr, summerdays and 2 others like this.
  8. Drago

Drago Guru

Tory MP tries to kill labour voter in car door slaughter shocker.

9. The Secretary of State For Transport has apparently doored a rider, causing him to fall to the ground

Can't see it on the BBC site, but it was printed in my Yorkshire Post when I read it earlier

10. subaqua

subaqua Guru

kin ell. is there no rear windows or rear quarters to do a .... what they called.... oh yes shoulder check.

11. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

What a plonker.

12. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Idiot. Then he blames the cyclist for going too fast.

13. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It! Staff Member

Effectively a hit and run not leaving details.

_aD, Dayvo and summerdays like this.
  14. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Bang on!

“One thing he did say was that I was cycling too fast, which was not true,”

If he can opine that the rider was going too fast then he must have seen him before he opened the door - sounds like an admission of guilt to me. The rider should claim all damage and injuries from this victim-blaming daffodil.

15. spen666

spen666 Guru

It would be car driver who has to provide details after an accident, not the passenger.

Indeed there is no duty under S170 of the RTA 1988 on the passenger (Grayling) to provide his details

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/170