Chris Grayling doors a cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TreeHuggery

Fair reply jef

This set up a debate on BBC Radio London by the way.

Yes the cyclist was entitled to be where he was.

And Grayling shouldn't have opened the door on him.

Or, if he did, say that the cyclist's speed was a factor - hard to imagine where cyclist speed would be a factor at all unless in a very controlled pedestrian environment.

In Grayling's defence he didn't exactly do a runner. Or get a flunky to handle the debate/interface with the cyclist.
no but he didn't exactly go running over did he...

Philhh

My niece from Brighton points out that in part of the driving test in holland is that you open a car door with the hand furthest away from the door -sounds silly- but it causes you to swing round and see what's coming along side of you-now that makes sense-think it's called the Dutch lean- and it would make good sense for us to adopt it.

Lonestar

Veteran
Driver didn't help.I see this many times.Instead of parking/blocking the left hand side they end to tet passengers off virtually anywhere without thinking.

I always look before opening a door. It's muscle memory, it's how I was taught. It's so engrained that I assume it was indoctrinated from an early age. I'd no more open a car door without looking as change lanes without looking.

And it's not just for cyclists. A car passing too close could sustain a lot of damage, tear your the door, shatter your hand and you'd be liable to foot the bill.

I always look before opening a door. It's muscle memory, it's how I was taught. It's so engrained that I assume it was indoctrinated from an early age. I'd no more open a car door without looking as change lanes without looking.

And it's not just for cyclists. A car passing too close could sustain a lot of damage, tear your the door, shatter your hand and you'd be liable to foot the bill.

yep. Been there. Once opened the door of a big red car, thought I'd looked but a lorry came and hit the edge of it in central London. Had trouble shutting it. Topped that by later crashing same car into front of a police car. I'm sticking to cycling :smile:

Top Bottom