FNRttC Christmas Night Ride - A Christmas Carol Saturday 17th December 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I rather enjoyed that......as fellow riders may just have noticed.......^_^:blush:. The bike ride was rather excellent too, mind ^_^

Evening did not get off to the best of starts. Someone fell on the line between Havant and Haslemere on Saturday night, and unfortunately passed away. As a result, services were suspended between those stations, major delays expected when they restarted. I was intending to get the 2054 (last fast train up) but instead opted to get the 2008 (via Winchester, Basingstoke and seemingly every station on that route to Waterloo). While I was waiting at Fratton there was an announcement that services had restarted, delays still expected. As it turned out, the 2054 left on time and arrived on time, before the train I was on did (also on time). But I could not, of course, have known this at the time....ho hum.

Plenty of time for a tea at Victoria before making my way round to HPC and introductions. Titus' introductory talk did suffer somewhat from technical glitches with his phone (his or the phone's I know not!). Not exactly a problem, even more than usual this was not a ride to be rushed. That Wetherspoons wasn't going to open any quicker and we only had eight hours to kill....This was the slowest FNRttC to date, by a country mile, but also one of the most fun, easily. So many of those roads I know very well, or very, very well indeed, but I learnt something new pretty much everywhere.

The guilty mid-ride venue was VQ Bloomsbury. Four of us managed, eventually, to get in before Titus signalled to me that we were cutting our losses and going somewhere that actually wished to serve us all in the near future. What a palaver...door guy wanted photo ID, failing that a digital photo for his mugshot gallery, and your name....unfortunately he seemed unable to spell common names. Ended up typing mine myself into his system. It was taking four or five minutes for each and every person. Ridiculous. I've never had that anywhere else, even with bag searches, pat-downs etc....Burger King Tottenham Court Road it was. What a blast from the past…for some years, pretty much every time I went to a gig in the area (most frequently at the Astoria…RIP…sniff, so many great nights in that place) that was my usual pre-show food stop. Switched to buying sandwiches, and I don't think I'd been in a BK (at all) since, maybe once or twice....Still looks much the same, rather rough around the edges these days but the tea hit the spot.

Regents Park lap....nice little blast. Parliament Hill was a great view, just about (fog). Highgate was very nice- kudos to Ian for his impromptu talk about Karl Marx's residence (Highgate Cemetery) which failed to send anyone to sleep :smile: I was not intending to finish climbing Swains Lane, but Adrian made his way up, pretty much everyone else said 'sod it' and joined him, so did I. 34x32 bottom gear proved its worth again. Fairly straightforward climb really, though I'll be troubling the Strava KOM no time, ever. I enjoyed descending Highgate Road rather more than my attempts at climbing up it in the past. Weeeee!!!!

Stop two was rather more successful. Some opted for the Starbucks at St Pancras, I joined the Pret a Manger splinter group. And then further slow pooling round to Wetherspoons across from Victoria station. Usual excellent reasonably priced fare and most excellent chinwagging, our numbers augmented by the lovely @Hill Wimp @Mice and @User10571 (replete with shiny titanium bits and pieces). Failed to fall asleep. Can't imagine why......:whistle:

Well done Titus, and thank you everyone. See you next year.....

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I really enjoyed last night. Thank you Titus for being our tour guide. We criss-crossed London by some of its larger arteries and some fascinating tiny capillaries, and it looked absolutely fantastic. Great company, lots of laughs and a bit of rehydration thrown in too.

Happy Christmas to one and all.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Didnt get out of bed till 3pm, had a quick look at footage I have. camera didnt record in timelapse mode as i had set it (my fault really -- Camera supports time lapse mode but just not at night) so i have at least 3 hours worth of footage to review and edit. Will try to have it up by wednesday (if anyone still wants)

Will need to edit everything down into individual clips.

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
[QUOTE 4602464, member: 21629"]https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Q0d0V3FQNW1aNXhwNXVCX0pzdElvRm5HVTlCRUJn

Fantastic ride. I've never seen so much of London especially on night when everything looks different. Alas my photos seem to be taken with potato as my pocket camera doesn't work very well when it's dark.
Many thanks for Titus The Big Boss :smile: I expected the ride on main streets but I was taken into the labyrinth of narrowest and innermost streets. I was amazed. Also riders marking the turns ... everything was perfect for me. :bravo:
Except the hills. Well I'm fat, lazy, getting old and ... lazy with Brompton with only 3 gears. And I hate hills. :whistle: :thumbsdown:
Anyway also big "thank you" for those guys who told me about this ride took me out off my pit.
Even the trip to home on train wasn't boring. :biggrin: Conductor and me sat in front of each other and we were in a serious competition "who will yawn more times". I won. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
Excellent photos!

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Great pictures, so far. Thank you.

Thoroughly enjoyed a very educational night, led by Titus in inimitable panache.
The weather was kind and the temperature never dropped below 4 (according to Garmin).
Just a day before this ride I was in Leadenhall Market in my lunch hour, doing some Xmas shopping in Waterstones. It was hard enough walking through, let alone riding a bike.
Some very interesting and lost locations visited.
One of the wonderful things about this city we share are these little known spots that the tourist guides miss or omit completely, but which are essential to the culture and make up, not just of London, but to the UK as a whole.
Little to say other than what's been said already, other than to thank Titus for setting up a ride that carried on the traditional Fridays' Xmas outing, and to everyone else for the company.

Loved the cruiser and it's festive adornment!

185 posts, various emails, several weeks of notice....... what more can we do?
For some reason I've missed quite a lot recently. The threads I'm watching produced no notifications and the others evaporated.

OP
OP
AKA Bob

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
I just want to say I have been really touched by all the lovely feedback about the ride. Have say it was a real pleasure and such a hoot to share the early hours of Sunday morning with you all.

Next year"s Christmas ride is already taking shape in my head and will centre around a Blue Plaque theme.

U

User482

I just want to say I have been really touched by all the lovely feedback about the ride. Have say it was a real pleasure and such a hoot to share the early hours of Sunday morning with you all.

Next year"s Christmas ride is already taking shape in my head and will centre around a Blue Plaque theme.

Thank you for organising it. A chance to catch up with old friends, meet new ones, see some stuff, learn some stuff, and cycle exceptionally slowly. What's not to like?

Top Bottom