FNRttC Christmas Night Ride - A Christmas Carol Saturday 17th December 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianmac62

Guru
Very foggy here too in Northampton. Didn't feel like it but I arrived at the station covered in a thin layer of water. Boarded train but changed carriages when a hen party got on. Either they were loud, or I am old, or both. Milton Keynes is about to be invaded by a group of young women dressed for a summer's day.

Seeing as no-one else has posted anything, I will!

Another Friday's historical (and occasionally hysterical) and educational Christmas ride. Lots of interesting facts. We even spotted the bike shop where Dickens bought his first bike. Allegedly. It was also the first half way stop where we needed to be ID'd to get in - so we went to Burger King instead.

A nice little climb up Hampstead Heath - we had a bit of a view despite the fog. Some mad fools climbed even higher up Swains Lane. Currently everyone is in Starbucks at St. Pancras and then they've got the Christmas lights to look forward to before the end point near Victoria station.

I'm off home for a kip before doing another Christmas ride, so thank you Titus for arranging this and everyone else - especially those all blinged up.
DSC_0676.JPG

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Brilliant ride. Thanks to Titus & Co. I really enjoyed the tour around london. The thing I enjoyed most about the ride apart from the view from the hill before swains was the lap around Regents park. Utterly enjoyed it! The unlit parts of the circuit takes me back to the country roads in the DD ride. I wanted to do another lap but i thought we were press for time.

Me and my friend Van decided to part ways with the rest of the group after the coffee break at kings cross and ive just arrived home. I have most of the ride recorded on my GoPro in time lapse mode and i will have it up in a short while. Some footage around the first food stop might be missing due to memory card error but most of it should be there.

Time for a hot shower and a cup of tea!

ianmac62

Guru
Not long on a train out of Euston. Ride from Victoria fuelled by Twickenham "Winter Warmer"! Many thanks to Titus for a splendid, thoroughly enjoyable ride. Parliament Hill was a high point (groan!). And I've never had a Triple Whopper before, let alone in the middle of the night. Loved meeting old friends, making new ones and all those lovely conversations. And thanks, Nick, for the book recommendation. Enjoy Sweden, Martin! Thanks, everyone, for your company!

Really looking forward to seeing the dates posted for the 2017 night rides!

mmmmartin

Random geezer
One of the very best rides ever. Fascinating tales of London and Charles Dickins, a distant ancestor of mine believe it or not. (Alas none of his money came to my side of the family.)
A pleasant social ride with much chatting and laughing, which the Ride Leader was probably not aware of as I was at the back with the bad boys. Regent Park was lovely in the silence and the darkness, but unlike that section just before the Cabin it didn't go on and on for ever. No sound of lions roaring as we passed the zoo, alas.
The impromptu Burger king stop was amusing and I thought I looked ridiculous in my red santa suit with Santa hat cable tied to the helmet - until I saw what others were wearing in there. The black tie crowd were very funny and the lady who thought she was too warm removed her jacket and jumper and put back on the jacket. Strange bra she had but each to their own taste.
The Parliament Hill section was brilliant and tremendously atmospheric with wonderful views. The lights through the mist were very pretty.
St Pancras was a great idea: indoors, loos and good coffee.
The best bit was the final section. As you know, I'm a bit of Country Bumpkin and have never seen the Christmas lights of London. They're fantastic. Never been to Soho before. Or Carnaby Street.
At the end i peeled off to catch my train and the conductor actually checked my ticket, railcard and the fact that I was on the correct train for the timed ticket, he said they're checking this every time now, useful to know.
Another lesson was my interaction with a couple of youfs on a knackered moped who did a moped bag snatch on a young lady. Their getaway was delayed by a rubbish lorry blocking the traffic so I almost caught them up and when they stopped to pick up something they'd dropped I nearly caught up the one on foot and rammed him with the bike. It's a Thorn Raven and weighs 18k and had a fat old bloke on it at the time so would have delayed him, alas I was separated from him by a pavement kerb. They dashed off and I followed them for a few streets but they lost me so I called the Old Bill. The lesson is to not carry anything of value, esp phones, in the bag over your shoulder. It seems there are very many suspects near Highbury who do this sort of thing. The moped had a black plastic bin liner taped over the rear number plate. How long I'd have remained unstabbed as I attempted a citizen's arrest is a moot point but I didn't think of that at the time.
This happened as I was on the way to the meeting of the ride leaders, about which you should hear something in the next few weeks. Dates and destinations have been decided.

robjh

Legendary Member
Well done @AKA Bob on organising such a fun ride. Nice to tick off one of London's toughest hills and brilliant to find out so much history. As always I took some pictures Have a great Christmas one and all and see you in 2017
Excellent pics.

Top Bottom