Christmas things you miss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Being given a £1 note by my Granddad and thinking I was loaded.

Crisps cost 8p at the time.
I bet you can't remember tinned pop coming out about 1969/70 and costing 1 sixpence (a 'tanner') (6d).:okay:

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
That's got me thinking back to Christmas 1970. When i couldn't wait for the school to break up, then i only had a few days till i could open my Spitfire and Stuka Battle of Britain models. The Spitfire had a battery operated propeller and the Stuka had a bomb that you fit a cap (anyone remember caps?) into to make it bang.

I never really got into model making but I do remember making a Spitfire with my dad at some point. I had an old bmx with black mag wheels and I remember it being the coolest bike on the street. Eventually, I learnt how to ride it no handed and then graduated to riding it no handed whilst wielding cap guns I'd get at the local toy shop. We used to buy these things called 'snaps' or 'funbangs' as well. They were basically tiny little balls of the stuff you'd find in caps but they'd only work when you threw them against a hard object. I had hours of fun throwing them about in shops and crowded areas.

GOAB

postman

Legendary Member
Does anyone still put those crepe paper decorations up on the ceiling? I remember them being popular when we were kids.
41M6aHJ78IL._SX300_.jpg
I was just thinking about the same things.Also balloons,you could not see our room ceiling for decorations.Kids today,don't know what decorations are.

Attachments

• 41M6aHJ78IL._SX300_.jpg
    41M6aHJ78IL._SX300_.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 47

Drago

Legendary Member
My Nan would always get The Sunday Post newspaper when I was a kid. Every week I would sit down and read the cartoons.

At Christmas, she would get me either the Oor Wullie or The Broons annual. I loved them!

It's funny the daft old things that pop into your head this time of year!
I miss the Jimmy Savile Christmas Top of the Pops.

further

Guru
Nobody has mentioned John Peels festive fifty

Sandra6

Veteran
My brother and I always got the broons and oor wullie annuals at xmas from scottish relatives. My accent is on point -in my head!
I miss when somebody else did all the work and made the magic happen. It's not quite so exciting when you're the one tiptoeing up and down stairs trying not to crinkle!

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
I miss being at my grandparents' house for Christmas. But my son now gets the pleasure of being at his grandparents' instead.

My grandparents on my mum's side are both still alive and spending time with them at any time of year is a precious thing as neither of them know how long they've got left. My grandad is 81 and relatively active but my grandmother is 74 and in very poor health. They're attending more and more funerals as they're friends are passing away and they, like anyone else, could go at anytime. Spending time with family is something I need to do whilst I still can.

GOAB

OP
OP
D

Dan Morinary

I never really got into model making but I do remember making a Spitfire with my dad at some point. I had an old bmx with black mag wheels and I remember it being the coolest bike on the street. Eventually, I learnt how to ride it no handed and then graduated to riding it no handed whilst wielding cap guns I'd get at the local toy shop. We used to buy these things called 'snaps' or 'funbangs' as well. They were basically tiny little balls of the stuff you'd find in caps but they'd only work when you threw them against a hard object. I had hours of fun throwing them about in shops and crowded areas.

GOAB

Me and my cousin made our own. Take a matchstick, wrap the head tightly in silver paper, then put a bit of cottonwool - soaked in turps - on top. Light. Then fire out of one of these
IMG_0181.JPG

into battalions of plastic soldiers.

Observing Health & Safety procedures at all times :whistle:

Top Bottom