Christmas things you miss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
And me.Wish l had kept them must be worth a bit.

If memory serves me correct the first one I received was Christmas 1945.
Have the 2017 one :smile: I am 44 and don't care !

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Seeing kids out on their new bikes is a rare sight these days. I know times have changed but being outside in the fresh air would do a lot of kids the world of good.
I managed to get a ride in this morning and spotted a man out with 2 children and their new bikes. They were heading along the opposite pavement. The boy was about 9 years old and had a mountain bike. He was walking along with dad, seemingly finding the 2% uphill gradient a bit tough. A girl about 5 years old was whizzing ahead on a little pink bike with stabilisers and LOVING it! I started to feel concerned at how far ahead she'd got and her dad clearly thought the same because he shouted to her to stop and wait, which she did.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
article-0-04FBCDF80000044D-877_468x620.jpg
and
ronnies-87.jpg

Attachments

• article-0-04FBCDF80000044D-877_468x620.jpg
    article-0-04FBCDF80000044D-877_468x620.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 49
  • ronnies-87.jpg
    ronnies-87.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 52

Andy_R

I managed to get a ride in this morning and spotted a man out with 2 children and their new bikes. They were heading along the opposite pavement. The boy was about 9 years old and had a mountain bike. He was walking along with dad, seemingly finding the 2% uphill gradient a bit tough. A girl about 5 years old was whizzing ahead on a little pink bike with stabilisers and LOVING it! I started to feel concerned at how far ahead she'd got and her dad clearly thought the same because he shouted to her to stop and wait, which she did.
Kids bikes like those from Halfords etc., are too heavy for modern kids, unless they are already quite active. Our generation's Grifters would have killed a lot of the current XBox generation, and I reckon the Commander probably almost killed a lot of our generation...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Kids bikes like those from Halfords etc., are too heavy for modern kids, unless they are already quite active. Our generation's Grifters would have killed a lot of the current XBox generation, and I reckon the Commander probably almost killed a lot of our generation...
MY generation was pre-Commando/Grifter! :laugh:

The Commando came out in 1973 and the Grifter in 1976. I got my first 'proper' bike (i.e. after the trike I had as a toddler) in 1965.

Andy_R

MY generation was pre-Commando/Grifter! :laugh:

The Commando came out in 1973 and the Grifter in 1976. I got my first 'proper' bike (i.e. after the trike I had as a toddler) in 1965.
yebbut, you're not my generation..you were still listnening to the Who when I was listening to the other three open questions....
Being 6 on Christmas morning.
Oh Yessss......not only being 6 on Christmas morning, but being 6 and fully awake at 4am....when mum and dad had only just got to bed filled with Babycham, Cherry B, and Advocaat....Snowball anyone?

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Not a great Christmas. First one without Dad, whose funeral was on Wednesday.

Then to round it off, had to cancel Christmas Day with son and family as I spent most of yesterday in bed courtesy of the winter vomiting bug.

Roll on Hogmanay !

keithmac

Guru
I miss how exciting Christmas was as a kid. It was so difficult waiting for the school term to end and then waiting days until Christmas. I think everyone gets to a certain age where Christmas just loses that special feeling. I held on to it for years but by 13/14 I'd lost the magic.

GOAB

I was the same, nice to see my kids excitement and "# sleeps 'till Christmas" etc, got a few years left of that to keep me going!.

The smell of Sugar Beet being processed into sugar was another Chrismas memory (while riding your new bike in the snow!).

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I miss how exciting Christmas was as a kid. It was so difficult waiting for the school term to end and then waiting days until Christmas. I think everyone gets to a certain age where Christmas just loses that special feeling. I held on to it for years but by 13/14 I'd lost the magic.

GOAB
That's got me thinking back to Christmas 1970. When i couldn't wait for the school to break up, then i only had a few days till i could open my Spitfire and Stuka Battle of Britain models. The Spitfire had a battery operated propeller and the Stuka had a bomb that you fit a cap (anyone remember caps?) into to make it bang.

That's got me thinking back to Christmas 1970. When i couldn't wait for the school to break up, then i only had a few days till i could open my Spitfire and Stuka Battle of Britain models. The Spitfire had a battery operated propeller and the Stuka had a bomb that you fit a cap (anyone remember caps?) into to make it bang.

I had the Spitfire too. Haven't remembered it until I saw your post.

Top Bottom