Chromebook and "cloudready"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan77

Oh, that's interesting. I've had the same issue. I find it rather annoying that they stop providing updates for such a basic system. I may well have had my Chromebook for 5 years but it's a decent spec one and it's not like the components are failing given how simple they are.

Will have to have a look.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
As in here:

https://www.neverware.com/cloudready-introduction

One of my chromebooks will stop getting security updates later this year.

Have read some stuff that suggests that you can install something called Cloudready (see above) after a bit of internal tinkering and carry on pretty much as before with continuing security protection.

Anyone done it?

Haven't done it, but, wasn't a product called CloudReady, marketed as a means of installing ChromeOS on (any old) PC?

kynikos

Veteran
Pretty sure I used it a couple of years ago to convert an ancient laptop into, effectively, a Chromebook. Seemed to be OK but I didn't persevere with it as I really wanted to run some Android Apps on it and this didn't prove possible.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
By the by, on doing this, if google still allows it after the reported purchase by google above, I found this:

"One important thing to consider is that you’ll need at least 8 GB of free space on your Chromebook to unpack the CloudReady OS before writing it to a USB drive. If your older Chromebook only has 16 GB of storage, you’ll need to borrow another machine with more space to make the USB installation drive."

One spooky thing - on turning on my chromebook this morning a message popped up telling me that the updates for it will stop in september - spooky spooky. Never seen that before.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Do I gather (correctly?) that your OS will be held in the cloud?
the operating system will be on the machine - hence the installation.

Top Bottom