City Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big Dave laaa

Biking Ninja
Just watching a program about road rage on ITV and I seriously take my hat off to you brave folks who ride in traffic like that. I live in the sticks and have had some minor scrapes but city riding looks insane. Spent loads of time in holland and germany and it is so much safer over there. Stay safe people

martint235

Dog on a bike
It's far worse in the sticks, at least in London the traffic moves at a crawl rather than flying around blind corners on single track lanes

OP
OP
Big Dave laaa

Big Dave laaa

Biking Ninja
I suppose you have a point there. My worst moments have been on lanes where i couldn't getboutbof the way or unclip in time. The buses and cabs look like they just don't see cyclists though. Probably tv making it look worse than it is.

RedRider

Pulling through
Just watching a program about road rage on ITV and I seriously take my hat off to you brave folks who ride in traffic like that. I live in the sticks and have had some minor scrapes but city riding looks insane. Spent loads of time in holland and germany and it is so much safer over there. Stay safe people
I've just caught the last ten minutes and it's not like this in real life. These are just the edited lowlights. In fact it's a joy.

RedRider

Pulling through
You off to France? I'm riding upto Yorkshire with a mate, no planning whatsoever so far except wangling places to stay in Cambridge and Skegness. Should be bracing.

OP
OP
Big Dave laaa

Big Dave laaa

Biking Ninja
That sounds like a decent road trip. Mate has sorted camping out for leeds and am off france with the other half. She's driving due to her fuel being paid for by work.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
On the other hand watching this terrible show is winding me up. I'm switching it off.
The plonker window cleaner/van man from Preston was on the local tv news giving it the usual "they don't pay road tax" crap as well as coming out with "they get in my way,i have to move to the wrong side of the road to overtake 'em". That's primary cycling matey it helps to keep us safe!:dry:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I ride across London every day. Believe me, I'm not some kind of fearless urban warrior, just a guy on a bike. It isn't dangerous and it certainly isn't the "War" that some people want to make it out to be. Nearly all drivers, taxis, vans, cars, lorries etc know how to drive and they are not the murderous maniacs that make "interesting" TV.

You should try riding here. It's blooming good fun.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
What I find more intimidating than close overtakes are "nervous" drivers who do not overtake when there is plenty of room to get past resulting in tailbacks of frustrated/angry drivers who think its my fault. I generally ride 2" from the curb but that's hardly "hogging" the road, just avoiding the gutter clutter and giving me "dive into space" when needed.

chernij

The program rings true in Manchester, where I cycle. The best cycling infrastructure I've seen is by Manchester Royal Infirmary, and off-road shared cycle/pedestrian path. Only downside is that you often get pedestrians walking in your way, but what can you do...

Top Bottom