Civil pro helmet discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The things is that it's not been done by everyone, so each time some one wants to look into it they shouldn't be battered for it.

A couple of stickies for the for and against movements would be best, IMO.

... and one for the "informed choice" movement?

Tin Pot

Guru
... and one for the "informed choice" movement?

Given the ah, vehemence of those on each side I would say we should have two different stickies.

The LibDems of the helmet debate can create their own short lasting threads that everyone else ignores :P :P

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

That plays into the myth (or is it a fantasy for some people?) that cycling is dangerous. Cycling is not dangerous.

Lets not be small minded. Let people choose. I already said for some it will have an effect placebo effect, to others it will effective. We should not impose our will on others.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I'm against blanket legistlation compelling helmet use. The information as to thier benefits is freely available, we can all make our own choices, and I guess parents are charged with taking the right decision for thier kids until they can do so themselves. I am pro helmets, very much so, but there's not need for the strong arm of the law as a general rule. Let those that want to wear a helmet do so, and those yet to be convinced avoid doing so. Each to their own. If that is 'informed choice'? If so I'm for it.
There are situations however when it is right and proper to insist on helmet use, which is why the main sportive rides have a mandatory helmet clause. That is the decision or the organizers, and riders remain free to exercise their right to not join in, or put on a helmet and join in. If such a ride/event/tour(whatever) prohibited the wearing of saftey helmets, i would exercise my right of choise and not join it. It is also totally fair and acceeptable for any rider to choose not to ride with another if they ride 'lidless', and vice versa.
Simples.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I'm against blanket legistlation compelling helmet use. The information as to thier benefits is freely available, we can all make our own choices, and I guess parents are charged with taking the right decision for thier kids until they can do so themselves. I am pro helmets, very much so, but there's not need for the strong arm of the law as a general rule. Let those that want to wear a helmet do so, and those yet to be convinced avoid doing so. Each to their own. If that is 'informed choice'? If so I'm for it.
There are situations however when it is right and proper to insist on helmet use, which is why the main sportive rides have a mandatory helmet clause. That is the decision or the organizers, and riders remain free to exercise their right to not join in, or put on a helmet and join in. If such a ride/event/tour(whatever) prohibited the wearing of saftey helmets, i would exercise my right of choise and not join it. It is also totally fair and acceeptable for any rider to choose not to ride with another if they ride 'lidless', and vice versa.
Simples.
:popcorn:

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

Since this was topical, today while on the morning ride just kept an eye out for families with kids cycling. Everyone one of them were wearing helmets. Adults and kids. Good to see people looking after their and the nation's prize assets. I am sure when they grow up they will decide when and where they should don the helmet.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I don't follow these threads for the obvious reasons, but the odd thing is, no-one as far as I can see ever really disagrees about anything substantive. Which is to say, I've never seen anyone argue for (general) compulsion, only for helmets, while the antis have no problem with anyone else wearing helmets, so long as no-one tries to force them to.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I have to admit, having said that, that I can't remember the last time I saw a four year old round here riding a scooter without a big gaudy plastic bucket strapped to his/her noggin, a sight that never fails to depress me.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
An earlier helmet thread has been locked for the usual reasons in the past 24 hours, what is to be gained by starting another so soon?
I do wonder why we have this part of the forum. The chances of some heated exchanges are pretty high in a helmet debate as it's an emotive subject and then the thread is locked. The forum software should immediately censor the word helmet as it does for nasty swear words and have done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom