Civil pro helmet discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Is this a good time to ask wear I should put my helmet camera if i weren't wearing a helmet?:whistle:
Size dependent, how about a mount on the glasses?

Drago

Legendary Member
Did you start an argument with them when they failed to cook your tea, and then punch one for making a disparaging remark about your estranged wife?

I don't follow these threads for the obvious reasons, but the odd thing is, no-one as far as I can see ever really disagrees about anything substantive. Which is to say, I've never seen anyone argue for (general) compulsion, only for helmets, while the antis have no problem with anyone else wearing helmets, so long as no-one tries to force them to.
We have had the odd person calling for compulsion in the past, and/or calling people stupid and all but wishing a head injury on them so they can say 'told you so'.

Tin Pot

Guru
I thought you wanted a civil discussion?

Describing someone else's position as bile isn't going to get you there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

You would like to think so but compare this post from Bigonabianchi

With his shroud waving emotive stance yesterday and it is clear to see that, overwhelmingly, the bile comes from one side of this debate.

Adrian, please don't stoke the flames. Your post on design is helpful.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
You would like to think so but compare this post from Bigonabianchi

With his shroud waving emotive stance yesterday and it is clear to see that, overwhelmingly, the bile comes from one side of this debate.
I wouldn't call @BigonaBianchi stance "with bile", he makes some valid points.
While I agree with @User13710 et all that cycling by large is not dangerous, there are some types of cycling where the wearing of a helmet is beneficial - or can be beneficial.
I do lots of group rides with inexperienced, wobbly riders. There has been crashes aplenty, on quiet, traffic free routes. Our speed is negligible, the crashes are caused by the inexperience of the riders, chatting away instead of concentrating on the hazards of the path, poor control of their bikes. While helmets have not saved any lives imo - but not in the opinion of their wearers - helmets have helped minimizing damage due to banging heads.
The sportive events @BigonaBianchi refers to are full of similar inexperienced riders, crashes are common due to wannabe racers mixing with beginners.
When I started cycling a few years ago I did not think a helmet was necessary, wasn't cycling in traffic then, but got one because my LBS, an experienced ex racer, told me I needed one.
I wear mine mostly because it protects my head from the weather, don't usually wear it in hot weather unless I participate in said beginners group rides.
Have been told off for not wearing a helmet on a very hot day: apparently it would inspire me confidence downhill :laugh:
Btw, going out now, eventual sarcastic responses to my post will have to wait for a response. ^_^

There's an implied threat in his remarks. If someone screamed at me that I'd "be smeared all over the road" cos I don't wear a helmet I'd find it threatening, especially as the implication is that the helmet would prevent a car hitting me in the first place. It's absurd, over-emotional hyperbole and threatening language.

I don't think there is ANY justification for posting lurid and gory death fantasies because you don't like someone's clothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom