Civil pro helmet discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs M

Guru
Is this a good time to ask where I should put my helmet camera if i weren't wearing a helmet?:whistle:
No dear!!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I agree about the gory hyperbole but I don't feel remotely threatened by it. It's ludicrous and laughable, but also a bad thing if left unchallenged as it feeds the ideas that cycling is dangerous and that helmets are effective protection against this fantasy 'danger'. I do think it's counterproductive to use more angry hyperbole in response though.
I for one would never condone nor partake in such behaviour :thumbsup:

No dear!!

go-pro-head-strap-mount-300.jpg

Licramite

Über Member
I think all helmet wearers are complete wooshes, - If you were a real man/woman/hamster you would laugh in the face of danger, scoff at any safety device, lights, high vis , rules of the road, keeping your eyes open, all none-sense , laugh and to the devil with it - Hurra!
Danger - is what I am to other people, Death is what happens to other lesser mortals than me, - for I Know it will never happen to me - I'm far to special.

Last edited:
U

User6179

I think all helmet wearers are complete wooshes, - If you were a real man/woman/hamster you would laugh in the face of danger, scoff at any safety device, lights, high vis , rules of the road, keeping your eyes open, all none-sense , laugh and to the devil with it - Hurra!
Danger - is what I am to other people, Death is what happens to other lesser mortals than me, - for I am Know it will never happen to me - I'm far to special.

Heisenberg

Tin Pot

Guru
I'd love one but, having done this loads of time I know how it goes. Sooner or later, when some pro compulsionist finds themselves backed into a bit of a corner and unable to justify their stance because they just don't have the knowledge to back it up, they get all arsey about it and then their guardian angel steps in and pronounces that it has gone too far and locks the thread.

Agree, which is why stickies should be used.

............in fact attaching any solid object to your head is not a good idea.

Including helmets?

There is evidence that helmets can cause injury

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Only pro riders on closed roads should be allowed to wear helmets. They should be banned otherwise because they encourage people to take risks that they shouldn't and wouldn't otherwise take. New riders could just as well avoid scrapes and bandages with a good thick wooly hat.

Licramite

Über Member
I suppose the question is, would you rather your helmet fails catastrophically, or your skull fails catastrophically ?
generally the helmet will allow the head to hit and slide along the ground, if the impact is sufficient to actually break the helmet structure your in trouble and all you can hope is in that moment the impact has been deflected, if not your going to have a dented head.
At the end of the day unless you want to wear a kevlar combat helmet (and even they don't stop bullets) it is what it is, light protection that will only save you up-to a point. - like all safety devices

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Generally the helmet will weigh down and help cause the head to hit when it wouldn't otherwise, then it snags on our rough roads (they're only tested against smooth surfaces) and strains the neck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom