Civvies or cycling attire?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Not even 5 miles, about 4.3 miles I would say

Cronorider

EVER be overkill?? What about when I'm nipping down to Tesco's, about half a mile away, for a pint of milk? Or going to work, just over a mile away? Going to visit friends less than a mile away? Or in fact doing ANYTHING that doesn't involve a simple circuit beginning and ending at home? I sure as hell am not going to wander around Tesco dressed in lycra; or arrive at a friends house dressed in lycra; or sit down for a meal in the company of others, dressed in lycra.
For the purposes of the OP, I certainly don't think it's worthwhile involving a change of clothing on a commute of that length - so go for the work wear. You don't need special clothes to ride a bike. Fair enough if you're going a distance and need the comfort; or you're out to break the cycling land speed record; but for normal everyday bike use - no.

C'mon - is this even a thread to be taken seriously, or just click bait to get people going on the whole 'lycra is for losers' issue. Hey what should I wear - the steel toed boots or the lycra? Really...

classic33

Leg End Member
Or the fact that imperial units are daft and we should all do our best to despatch them to the dustbin of history?

I was taught in the metric system at school over half a century ago but we are still messing about with miles/yards/feet/inches, gallons/fluid ounces/cups (whatever)! :wacko:
Nowt wrong with feet and inches!

Local council would refuse to take them and demand you remove them from the dustbin anyway.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
So I finally got a job thats only 7km away, 14km overall :smile: I'm so happy that its more or less local, normally its much further

I work on a production shop floor where steel toe caps is the thing and never cycled commute in full work clothes before

I'm thinking lycra is a bit of a overkill for such a small commute?, what do the CC'ers think?
How hilly is the commute? My commute is also 7 km, but is reasonably flat. I think if your route is hilly, you might find you get too sweaty in civvies.

snorri

Legendary Member
I don't really know exactly , 5 mile=7Km?
Everyone knows roughly, including Drago.
You have fallen into his thread topic diversion trap:sad:.

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
7km, definitely walking distance. I used to do that in a suit on my way to a bank.

I got a poncho for inclement weather, and changed my shoes when I got to work. You wouldn't need either, I'd guess
Almost 4.5 miles is walking distance.
Both ways, to work, every day?
Is it fcuk!
You are looking at 2hrs 15 minutes MINIMUM and that is really walking at a good 4MPH whereas cycling on a hybrid would get you there in less than 20 minutes.
WORST SUGGESTION EVER.

Cronorider

Thought that was down to a fuel leak?

Nope - it really happened - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider - It's a very interesting story - luckily the pilot was an experience glider pilot as well

"The subsequent investigation revealed that a combination of company failures, human errors and confusion over unit measures had lead to the aircraft being refueled with insufficient fuel for the planned flight"

Top Bottom