Civvies or cycling attire?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Or the fact that imperial units are daft and we should all do our best to despatch them to the dustbin of history?

I was taught in the metric system at school over half a century ago but we are still messing about with miles/yards/feet/inches, gallons/fluid ounces/cups (whatever)! :wacko:
because they work , i think pandering to europe again just to fit in is not a good reason to change.

Drago

Legendary Member
Or the fact that imperial units are daft and we should all do our best to despatch them to the dustbin of history?

I was taught in the metric system at school over half a century ago but we are still messing about with miles/yards/feet/inches, gallons/fluid ounces/cups (whatever)! :wacko:

I was taught both, can think and calculate in either. Nevertheless, I prefer Imperial for all except temperature.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
because they work , i think pandering to europe again just to fit in is not a good reason to change.
A metric ditch is 1.71 km long. 0.73 m deep and 2.16 metres wide. How much water can it hold? (Answer in litres.)

An imperial ditch is 1 mile 219 yards long, 2 feet 7 inches deep, and 6 feet 3 inches wide. How much water can it hold? (Answer in imperial gallons.)

Yes, the imperial system 'works' ... kind of! :laugh:

Brandane

Legendary Member
How could Lycra ever be overkill? I say rock the tight clothing at all times
EVER be overkill?? What about when I'm nipping down to Tesco's, about half a mile away, for a pint of milk? Or going to work, just over a mile away? Going to visit friends less than a mile away? Or in fact doing ANYTHING that doesn't involve a simple circuit beginning and ending at home? I sure as hell am not going to wander around Tesco dressed in lycra; or arrive at a friends house dressed in lycra; or sit down for a meal in the company of others, dressed in lycra.
For the purposes of the OP, I certainly don't think it's worthwhile involving a change of clothing on a commute of that length - so go for the work wear. You don't need special clothes to ride a bike. Fair enough if you're going a distance and need the comfort; or you're out to break the cycling land speed record; but for normal everyday bike use - no.

potsy

Rambler
Definitely civvies for that commute, take it nice and easy and you'll hardly even notice it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What about when I'm nipping down to Tesco's, about half a mile away, for a pint of milk? Or going to work, just over a mile away? Going to visit friends less than a mile away? Or in fact doing ANYTHING that doesn't involve a simple circuit beginning and ending at home? I sure as hell am not going to wander around Tesco dressed in lycra; or arrive at a friends house dressed in lycra; or sit down for a meal in the company of others, dressed in lycra.
I just did it just the once, on a mountain bike ride in Wales. I called in at a supermarket in Dolgellau and was stocking up with food and snacks for the rest of the ride when I heard a strange sound from a few metres away. I looked up and saw that it was 2 women muttering remarks in Welsh and howling with laughter. The embarrassing thing was that one of them was pointing at my nether regions at the time. I don't speak Welsh but from her tone I'd swear that she was saying something very rude ... :blush:

AndyMack

I’d agree with most people on here, normal work clothing would suffice. I’d take a change of shoes as it’s bad enough having to wear safety footwear all day never mind cycling in it too. If you have a locker or somewhere you can leave the boots then I’d do that, if not pop them in a backpack with your lunch and change once you’re there.
Congratulations on the new job too ^_^

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
The embarrassing thing was that one of them was pointing at my nether regions at the time.

Black lycra shorts are a dead giveaway for certain activities.

6054817.jpg

:giggle:

Top Bottom