Civvies or cycling attire?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cronorider

Did 120 miles yesterday without padded shorts (as usual) and not a chafe in sight! Was back on the bike today to do another comfortable century but had to bail after 20odd miles due to an immense hangover..... But that's another story. I have said it many times before, padded shorts and Lycra are not necessary for cycling if you have the right saddle, good bike fit and sensible attire.

Back in the day my butt could handle that but not anymore. You must still be a young buck

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
500ml iirc even though it would originaly have been of an actual imperial pint, I think ^_^
It's a bit random - generally you just ask for "une bière", and you'll get whatever is in the bottle, or the size of the glass. I rarely see people drinking 'pints' (or rather 500ml). I'm getting more and more used to km, as my bike computer in France got wet and now won't switch back to miles.

Re clothing - I can't see what the 'faff' is about taking off a pair of cycling shorts, and putting on a pair of trousers.

D

Deleted member 1258

Did 120 miles yesterday without padded shorts (as usual) and not a chafe in sight! Was back on the bike today to do another comfortable century but had to bail after 20odd miles due to an immense hangover..... But that's another story. I have said it many times before, padded shorts and Lycra are not necessary for cycling if you have the right saddle, good bike fit and sensible attire.

I can't quite put my finger on it but there is something about that picture that makes me think of @Crackle .....:rolleyes:

I've been cycling for over 40 years and have never worn padded shorts, I've never felt the need for them.

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm curious to know what you do wear

An old comfy pair of close fitting running shorts or cycle tights, Altura cruisers or winter cruisers.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The thing about imperial is how it's just so obviously constructed to work together :rolleyes:
English_length_units_graph.png

I ride 8km to work, but it definitely isn't flat. I've cycled it in civvies before but I require at least a change of shirt at the end, so I tend to go for cycling gear. The other advantages are that lycra stuff dries faster after it rains, and doesn't flap as much in the gale force winds we get here (I commute along the coast)

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I had to turn Google Maps in the car to km & m when the lovely lady telling me when to turn was determined to tell me in ft... "Turn left in1000ft". I've no quick sense of what that is, and though I know the mathematics (333 yards), I politely asked the lady if she'd tell me in metres instead.

Top Bottom