Civvies or cycling attire?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It is about 4.4 miles. It could be walked in an hour but that is a pretty brisk sweat-inducing pace.
Almost 4.5 miles is walking distance.

I don't know how that happened. My brain was thinking "cycle in work clothes" but my fingers went ahead and typed "walking distance". I am do not know how that happened, but it was before I went around to the neighbours for "a glass" of wine, so I can't use alcohol has an excuse.

LOL. I'm actually a metric native - because I was educated in the 20th century and not the 18th - so km do not confuse me, but miles do (as do stones).

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It depends to a degree on what you are riding. Is your bike a Raleigh shopper? I think lycra would be a bit overboard. I have 20 km commute on my road bike. I wear lycra. On the way home my commute can get extended to 60km so it makes sense to ride in lycra. My workmates are all used to it now and don't mind my gear being all over the changing room.
I think part of your problem is what your colleges will say if you turn up in lycra. Don't worry about it. They soon get over the shock.

Tin Pot

Guru
So I finally got a job thats only 7km away, 14km overall :smile: I'm so happy that its more or less local, normally its much further

I work on a production shop floor where steel toe caps is the thing and never cycled commute in full work clothes before

I'm thinking lycra is a bit of a overkill for such a small commute?, what do the CC'ers think?

7km? Run.

Is it "overkill" to wear cycling clothes when you are cycling? No, it is not.

Alan O

Über Member
I'm actually a metric native - because I was educated in the 20th century and not the 18th - so km do not confuse me, but miles do (as do stones).
I'm sort of like that. My education was all using metric, but being in the in-between generation can be confusing. I used to do a bit of woodwork and I remember buying "3 by 2" (inch) timber by the metre, I'm fine with kilometres (my wife is from a metric country where I spend a lot of time) but with UK distances all being in miles I'm happy with that too, and I still drink beer in pints (though I'd be more than happy to pay for a pint and get a litre!) Weight in stones? Not a clue - you might as well be talking Klingon to me.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
It is about 4.4 miles. It could be walked in an hour but that is a pretty brisk sweat-inducing pace. Most people would probably take more like 75-80 minutes each way. Given that it should easily be cycled in 15-20 minutes, walking it instead would add about 10 hours to the total week's commute. I can think of better ways to spend 10 hours!
If I ever have to walk a route I normally cycle, I can't believe how slow it is, in my perception of time. Yes, I know the maths that I walk about a sixth the speed of cycling, but even knowing that, walking a tarmacked route is tedium defined, for me.

I realised how much I think in cycling terms (rather than walking) when I actually momentarily considered cycling the 200 yards within the school where I work, to save a bit of time.

Anyway, I wear cycling clothes for the 4-mile commute each way, as it's more comfortable, and it doesn't wear out my school clothes. Clean clothes get taken & returned in a rucksack, and everything else (shoes etc.) get left there permanently.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

LOL. I'm actually a metric native - because I was educated in the 20th century and not the 18th - so km do not confuse me, but miles do (as do stones).

I was also educated in the 20th century, but I'm the opposite way round, KM confuses me as does kilo's, but I'm happy with miles and stones.

NickNick

I was also educated in the 20th century, but I'm the opposite way round, KM confuses me as does kilo's, but I'm happy with miles and stones.

I spent first 7 years of my life in the UK, then next 7 in France and then returned to the UK for late teens/adult life (although planning to move back in the next year) so its all a bit muddled! I'm fine with miles, km, cm/mm, inches/feet (use them a lot with work when discussing with clients). What I can't wrap my head around is imperial weights & temperatures

NickNick

Back on topic, I used to be strongly in the why on earth do people faff about with Lycra, its just riding a bike. That lasted until I had a week riding big miles 7 days in a row (I commute all over the shop), I found out that I could get chafed in the groin area to levels that I did not believe were possible! Took me a fortnight to recover and I straight away ordered a pair of bib shorts!!! I now slip on the Lycra for anything over 3-4miles as its just so much more comfortable.

Is it "overkill" to wear cycling clothes when you are cycling? No, it is not.
Oh, yes, and if you drive to work ....

driver1369955126.jpg

Cronorider

Okay serious answer - I can't stand riding in civvies and for that 7km distance I would for sure be wearing cycling shorts at a minimum. Cycling shoes also. Upper body wouldn't necessarily have to be a jersey - whatever the weather dictated

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Back on topic, I used to be strongly in the why on earth do people faff about with Lycra, its just riding a bike. That lasted until I had a week riding big miles 7 days in a row (I commute all over the shop), I found out that I could get chafed in the groin area to levels that I did not believe were possible! Took me a fortnight to recover and I straight away ordered a pair of bib shorts!!! I now slip on the Lycra for anything over 3-4miles as its just so much more comfortable.
Did 120 miles yesterday without padded shorts (as usual) and not a chafe in sight! Was back on the bike today to do another comfortable century but had to bail after 20odd miles due to an immense hangover..... But that's another story. I have said it many times before, padded shorts and Lycra are not necessary for cycling if you have the right saddle, good bike fit and sensible attire.
Oh, yes, and if you drive to work ....

View attachment 376434
I can't quite put my finger on it but there is something about that picture that makes me think of @Crackle .....:rolleyes:

Top Bottom