Claiming for damage due to pot holes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Good news, I'd been dithering about my claim from Hawkhurst Saturday before last, the pothole is in a new piece of tarmac where they have obviously just resurfaced the road without properly dealing with the existing problems. I have photographic evidence and video of cars driving over the spot (the photos make it look innocuous but on the video you can clearly hear the thump thump of the wheels dropping in to the pothole). The claim form asked for before and after photos and was generally full of begging text saying I'd be depriving old ladies of their meals on wheels if I tried to take money from the council plus that they never pay out anyway. Considering the wheel was trued so I'm looking at a new tyre, wheel true and touch up paint for the chain stay it's hardly going to set me up for retirement. But I guess it's worth the letter, just need to get some 'before' pictures.

I reported the actual road damage straight away online, that bit was easy...

byegad

Legendary Member
It can be done! A colleague wrote off a very expensive pair of rims, as well as breaking his collarbone on a really bad pot hole at a bus stop. He was avoiding a pedestrian who stepped off the pavement without looking and later regretted not just hitting the pedestrian!

Darlington Council's insurers insisted he get the wheels rebuilt as the cost of replacements was just over £2000. They were a touched miffed when the repairer hit them for nearly £3000, despite the fact that they'd seen this figure in his quotation/estimate and still plumped for repair rather than replace. But that's Councils for you.

Top Bottom