Claude butler Ladydale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abc123

Hi there,

I have recently rescued what appears to be a relatively old bike and am trying to find out more about it. So far I have established it as a blue Claude Butler Ladydale, 10 speed, (1982?). It appears to be in relatively fair condition after some cleaning and oiling but I am unsure about how much of the parts are original...but it seems that it might be predominantly original. Where would be a good site to find out more about this type of bike and whether there is any demand for these.

Thanx for any help

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi abc123, welcome

Datewise you're about right. Built by Holdsworth. Classic touring frame. Lots of them about in London in the early 80s. Lovely machine.
Post some picks or componant details and we should be able to figure out what's original or not.
Demand-wise I'd say is pretty good, Mixte style frames are becoming very fashionable again and Clauds/Holdsworths are fairly well sought after.

http://classicrendezvous.com/British_isles/claud_butler.htm

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nkilgariff/

OP
OP
A

abc123

Hi Fab Foodie,

Thank you so much for your reply. I have not managed to figure out yet how to upload the pictures on this site, but I am working on it. I can list all the markings it has so long though:

Frame: Claude Butler, Holdsworthy label, Ladydale, Reynolds 531 label
Handlebar: etched - GB and Premier Marque de Grande Bretagne
Brakes (lever and calipers): Weinmann (except front brake cable which is black shimano)
Gears (2x5): Suntour Cyclone M2
Pedal: Metal (Made in Lyotard France); SR Sakae custom
Seat: Selle Royal Ergogel Plus (does not look like it is from the eighties at all) on a SR Laprade pole
Tyres: Michelin World Tour

Otherwise, it also has 2x silver mudguards and a black metal Rack that look like the ones in some of the pictures online.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi Fab Foodie,

Thank you so much for your reply. I have not managed to figure out yet how to upload the pictures on this site, but I am working on it. I can list all the markings it has so long though:

Frame: Claude Butler, Holdsworthy label, Ladydale, Reynolds 531 label
Handlebar: etched - GB and Premier Marque de Grande Bretagne
Brakes (lever and calipers): Weinmann (except front brake cable which is black shimano)
Gears (2x5): Suntour Cyclone M2
Pedal: Metal (Made in Lyotard France); SR Sakae custom
Seat: Selle Royal Ergogel Plus (does not look like it is from the eighties at all) on a SR Laprade pole
Tyres: Michelin World Tour

Otherwise, it also has 2x silver mudguards and a black metal Rack that look like the ones in some of the pictures online.
From memory that sounds pretty original!
Saddles, tyres and cables are often changed, so no worries there. Otherwise it sounds like you have a real beauty on your hands! What are the wheels (rims and hubs)? Are they a matching pair?
Is it your size (assuming you are a lady of this parish)!

Google Search 'Claud Butler Ladydale' brings up a lot of images.

To post photos, first you need to reduce their size. Then use the 'Upload a File option bottom right of the reply screen, browse and upload!

OP
OP
A

abc123

10410678714_51d73c23d6.jpg

I think I have managed to upload a pic of the bike. It looks to me as if the tires are a matching pair, but as you can probably tell I am no expert. It is a fascinating bike though and yes it seems about my size. I am looking forward to giving it a go, once I have managed to repair all the punctures.

Top Bottom