Clean that Chain!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I do nowt. Had my bike a year and a half and do about fifty miles a week.
Am I about to inherit problems?
I don't care about a shiny chain but I do want the bike to continue working...

Not major problems but your bike wont last as long as it should.... I am a novice compared to most on here and when i took my bike in for a service the guy looked and said 'clean your chain and it be fine?' He was bang on.... And i didnt realise how much crap gets in amongst the oil until i did it!!!! Thats why i started this thread. Oh when you do it rip an old t-shirt up for rags.... After a year and a half of neglect you need that much....:laugh:

400bhp

Guru
Nice pics Cubist - use the same wipe method - done it for years...

Question for you & Cubist (and others who clean cassette/chain):

Do you take the cassette/crhainset apart when cleaning?

I take the cassette off about twice a year, and don't bother taking the cchainset off.

Unless i take them off I never get the chain/cassette/chainset as clean as those pics. Am I missing a trick?

I clean with degreaser/white spirit/GT85.

Bman

Guru
I use babywipes and nothing else (besides oil).

Clean everything with baby wipes then re-lube :smile: I dont need to remove the cassette, the baby wipes get between the gaps perfectly fine.

Cubist

Still wavin'

I take the cassette off about twice a year, and don't bother taking the cchainset off.

Unless i take them off I never get the chain/cassette/chainset as clean as those pics. Am I missing a trick?

For all you doubters, I ride a lot on millstone grit. It wears components very quickly if you leave it.

No, no need to take the cassette off. With the XC bike I take the wheel out, tilt it so that the cogs all feed any fluids away from the bearings, and spray it with a mixture of Gunk Green degreaser and water, at a ratio of five to one 5:1 in an old pump spray bottle. I then scrub it with an old nylon washing up brush, making sure it gets between the cogs.

I then scrub it again with water and car shampoo, then give it a rinse with clean water. Sadly, I then spin or even wipe it dry, mask the brake rotor and then give the cassette a squirt of GT85.

Most importantly though, I use dry chain lube, even on wet MTB rides. I find any other sort of lube builds up a gunky paste which gets all over the chain, mechs and cassette, and then you are into degreasing etc etc on a grand scale. With dry lube the chain stays reasonably clean, and is far easier to clean. I can't remember the last time I saw black oily chains in my garage!

On the commuter, I make sure the chain is Mickle method cleaned once a week, and always cleaned and lubed after a wet ride, but not all of the bike; that gets a deep clean once a month.

400bhp

Guru
Most importantly though, I use dry chain lube, even on wet MTB rides. I find any other sort of lube builds up a gunky paste which gets all over the chain, mechs and cassette, and then you are into degreasing etc etc on a grand scale. With dry lube the chain stays reasonably clean, and is far easier to clean. I can't remember the last time I saw black oily chains in my garage!

I'm coming to that conclusion too.

I used wet lube for about 6 months. You generally have to take less care of the chain, however when you do come to clean it, you end up with that gunky paste, which only a screwdriver head will remove off jockey wheels.

I guess through winter, with dry lube, is to give the chain a re-lube once a week or so?

Cubist

Still wavin'
Why are people so worried about their chains looking clean? Life is too short!

I just wipe my down well with a clean rag, oil it, then wipe off the excess. I don't appear to suffer from components wearing out quickly, my transmission doesn't make much noise, and shifts well.

Good for you User482.

As for me, well, OCD isn't compulsory, but I clean the whole XC bike after almost every ride, at the same time giving it a mini-service. I like to think that every time I get on my bike all the components are going to perform well and reliably. I have a pet hate of stuff not working properly when all it takes is a bit of effort, so gear shifting and braking is always first class. Makes for a happier experience, and I'm not the one who holds up the whole group because my saddle's slipping, or my brakes are binding, or I can't shift out of the granny ring, or I still have a slow puncture/leaking valve etc etc etc!!

Oh, and I genuinely enjoy the fettling and faffing involved.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Don't need to (take off). That pic is the best bike BTW, but my others are the same. Cassette - quick squirt of WD40 on the sprockets (not much) and then I run a rag (old t-shirt) through in-between each sprocket in an up/down motion so it spins the cassette round. Then run through again with dry part of rag (usually oily anyway).

If MTB on a gritty run, then it's low pressure hose off cassette and chain, then above but more WD or GT85.

Chainrings - just run the rag round each side - dry or with a little WD on the rag.

I now commute fixed, so that is real easy to keep clean - chainring, again run rag over chainring, but don't spin it - folk have ended up with missing fingers. When I was commuting on the MTB, used the same process as above.

I'm a bit OCD about bikes, so I wash the bike down after a wet ride and lube the chain. This also means I run the rag round the sprockets/chainrings. Doesn't take long if you do it regular. I don't put de-greaser near anything. - Tiny squirt of WD40 on the cassette, or direct to the rag to clean chain.

Ps I regularly get comments at work 'did you miss the rain or something', 'you don't bloody ride that - it just sits in your room', 'ah I see it's OCD clean again'.

Clean bikes are the fastest, especially when red (or blue). FACT !:tongue: PS totally busted for being a bike tart today. Brought bike up to office, two female staff chatting in corridor - excused my way through (with bike) one says ' oh very impressive, matching clothes as well'. Doh :tongue:

Cubist

Still wavin'
I'm coming to that conclusion too.

I used wet lube for about 6 months. You generally have to take less care of the chain, however when you do come to clean it, you end up with that gunky paste, which only a screwdriver head will remove off jockey wheels.

I guess through winter, with dry lube, is to give the chain a re-lube once a week or so?

That's it, but you'll need to dry it and relube after a wet ride.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Same as cubist (but the road bikes) - I don't like anything not working 100%. I tend to ride the bikes hard and expect them to work. Real pet hate of mine.

I also hate rattles or creaks - so they get sorted. I also like tinkering - handy sometimes when the kids are out playing, I just pop in the garage whilst they are out and about.

The number of folk I've heard when doing Sportives, with crap sluggish gear changes, creaking bikes, it's untrue.

400bhp

Guru
Agree with you both. Thanks

Still don't know how you get the cassette OCD clean without removing it. Must try harder :whistle:

Bman

Guru
Don't need to (take off). That pic is the best bike BTW, but my others are the same. Cassette - quick squirt of WD40 on the sprockets (not much) and then I run a rag (old t-shirt) through in-between each sprocket in an up/down motion so it spins the cassette round. Then run through again with dry part of rag (usually oily anyway).

If MTB on a gritty run, then it's low pressure hose off cassette and chain, then above but more WD or GT85.

Chainrings - just run the rag round each side - dry or with a little WD on the rag.

I now commute fixed, so that is real easy to keep clean - chainring, again run rag over chainring, but don't spin it - folk have ended up with missing fingers. When I was commuting on the MTB, used the same process as above.

I'm a bit OCD about bikes, so I wash the bike down after a wet ride and lube the chain. This also means I run the rag round the sprockets/chainrings. Doesn't take long if you do it regular. I don't put de-greaser near anything. - Tiny squirt of WD40 on the cassette, or direct to the rag to clean chain.

Ps I regularly get comments at work 'did you miss the rain or something', 'you don't bloody ride that - it just sits in your room', 'ah I see it's OCD clean again'.

Clean bikes are the fastest, especially when red (or blue). FACT !:tongue: PS totally busted for being a bike tart today. Brought bike up to office, two female staff chatting in corridor - excused my way through (with bike) one says ' oh very impressive, matching clothes as well'. Doh :tongue:

This is true. Dirt does have mass after all :smile:

adds21

Rider of bikes
I suffer a little from CDO (it's like OCD, but in the right order), but I'm super impressed by the cleanliness of those cassettes!

I like keep my fixed gear bike nice and clean, but mostly because it's a "dry day" bike, but I don't have the time/energy to keep my commuter like that.

I admire anyone who does.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Nice pics Cubist - use the same wipe method - done it for years...

DSCF2695.jpg

Fossy wins, (but I think he's bonkers!)
whistling.gif

U

User482

Good for you User482.

As for me, well, OCD isn't compulsory, but I clean the whole XC bike after almost every ride, at the same time giving it a mini-service. I like to think that every time I get on my bike all the components are going to perform well and reliably. I have a pet hate of stuff not working properly when all it takes is a bit of effort, so gear shifting and braking is always first class. Makes for a happier experience, and I'm not the one who holds up the whole group because my saddle's slipping, or my brakes are binding, or I can't shift out of the granny ring, or I still have a slow puncture/leaking valve etc etc etc!!

Oh, and I genuinely enjoy the fettling and faffing involved.

I very rarely have any of the problems you describe. I think there's a difference between maintenance, which I do, and OCD cleaning, which I don't do. Nothing wrong with the latter if you enjoy it, but I honestly don't believe there's any real need for it.

Top Bottom