Clean that Chain!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I agree with User482. There is really no need for the OCD cleaning of bikes and components... but boy I do enjoy and appreciate a nice and clean, sparkling bike so thoroughly enjoy taking the bike to bits and getting the Mr Sheen out...

Cubist

Still wavin'
I very rarely have any of the problems you describe. I think there's a difference between maintenance, which I do, and OCD cleaning, which I don't do. Nothing wrong with the latter if you enjoy it, but I honestly don't believe there's any real need for it.

That was my point as well. I'm all for free choice, let's leave compulsion in the helmet thread!!!!!!

Cubist

Still wavin'
I agree with User482. There is really no need for the OCD cleaning of bikes and components... but boy I do enjoy and appreciate a nice and clean, sparkling bike so thoroughly enjoy taking the bike to bits and getting the Mr Sheen out...

Aye.

Vanilla anti-static or Citrus?

potsy

Rambler
I wish I had OCD :sad: the bike might get cleaned more often then :whistle:

testing 1234.jpg

gbb

Legendary Member
Why are people so worried about their chains looking clean? Life is too short!

I just wipe my down well with a clean rag, oil it, then wipe off the excess. I don't appear to suffer from components wearing out quickly, my transmission doesn't make much noise, and shifts well.

Ive come to that conclusion too. I use engine oil, the chains clean, but black. The trade off is simple. I lube regularly so the components last well, its a hell of a lot cheaper than specific lubes, does the same job, but you have a black chain..can't say it spoils my day.

I do remove the cassette and chainrings maybe 3 or 4 times a year and really get in there, usually when i give the bike a really good 'deep clean', but its for my own pleasure, not because it'll really make that much difference to the life of it all.

That said, if someones OCD about it (and i have been in the past)...fair play to them.

400bhp

Guru
Shall we see if we can stretch this thread out to 200+ posts ahd have a slanging match about whether it is better/worse to clean chains regularly :whistle:

potsy

Rambler
Shall we see if we can stretch this thread out to 200+ posts ahd have a slanging match about whether it is better/worse to clean chains regularly :whistle:

Only 200? Where's your sense of adventure? I reckon we could get 300 easy :whistle:

Believe it or not but mine does actually get cleaned every week ish. Like yours though 400bhp it will never ever look like the one in Fossy or Cubist's photo's :biggrin:

gbb

Legendary Member
I do nowt. Had my bike a year and a half and do about fifty miles a week.
Am I about to inherit problems?
I don't care about a shiny chain but I do want the bike to continue working...
Used to have a guy at work with a 9 speed CB MTB. No care really with his bike, commuted in all weathers, didn't have particular problems. i raised this with him one day, clean and lube it all, it'll last longer.
His response...if i replace the chain and cassette once a year, i'm still saving money hand over fist by not paying bus fares, plus i can't be bothered with all that effort.

Fair enough, his logic can't be faulted. Diffrerent strokes...

400bhp

Guru
Used to have a guy at work with a 9 speed CB MTB. No care really with his bike, commuted in all weathers, didn't have particular problems. i raised this with him one day, clean and lube it all, it'll last longer.
His response...if i replace the chain and cassette once a year, i'm still saving money hand over fist by not paying bus fares, plus i can't be bothered with all that effort.

Fair enough, his logic can't be faulted. Diffrerent strokes...

Interesting.

I've owned a 2nd hand Subway 1 since Dec10. Chain and front freewheel replaced early Jan 11. No idea how old the cassette was.

I use it for commuting in crap weather and for weekend rides with my daughter in a child seat. I've covered roughly 900 miles on it this year. I rarely cleaned the chain.

Checked the chain for wear last month because it was making a hell of a racket and running like a bag of spanners. You could actually see the stretch when looking at how the chain sat on the freewheel. Chain stretch was way past 1".

New chain and cassette duly added. Cost of about £45.

peelywally

i clean my chain after long rides its best to do a small job than wait till its an hour long job i think ,

a wipe with oily rag usually lubes and cleans it and takes 2minutes bit longer if grimy maybe ten minutes with toothbrush or 5 with chain cleaning tool ,

either way i hate having to sit there chipping caked grime and greasy muck off it for ages .

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
Mine at 2000 miles. Cleaned (with Park Tool chain cleaner) and lubed (with PTFE dry lube) every 500 miles.
20110913_001.jpg
So far, my micrometer says it's about 0.2% stretched. I intend to replace it at 0.5%.

Top Bottom