Cleaning a road bike after a wet ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

penster

I intend to ride my carbon frame road bike all winter. If it is wet, I hose it down with cold water, dry it with a cloth, wipe the chain dry and spray the chain mechs and brakes with WD40 type oil.
Any advice?
Mick

dodgy

Pretty much what you've already said up there ^^^

You could also polish your bike with some quality automotive polish to protect from salt etc. Grime seems to have difficulty holding onto a freshly polished bike frame.

Just don't spray water at any bearings, I myself don't even direct water at the mechs for fear of pushing water into the bearing surfaces.

Do you have anywhere dry to allow the bike to drip dry? My garage is always a few degrees warmer than outside (slate roof - absorbs heat) so my bikes don't stay wet too long.
Dave.

ASC1951

Guru
The real keenies - the ones who park their bikes in small ring front and back to save the derailleur springs - say you should dry your bike upside down, so that the water which gets into the seat tube will drain out to the saddle instead of rusting the BB bearings.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
BB's are sealed these days, - i.e cartridge or outboard...and have been for years..... One of my bikes has cut outs on the BB shell for water..why ? as my best bike hasn't and has been water tight for 18 years....

The new carbon bikes might collect water, but the BB's are out of this issue as sealed and not prone to rust..... like the old bikes I have....water near seat pin isn't good.

Parking the bike in particular gears..rubbish... my best bike is 18 years old, running original DA equipment, and is parked in the gear I get home in.....

Saddle bum

Über Member
ASC1951 said:
The real keenies - the ones who park their bikes in small ring front and back to save the derailleur springs - say you should dry your bike upside down, so that the water which gets into the seat tube will drain out to the saddle instead of rusting the BB bearings.

Fit an "O-ring" over the seat tube where it disappears into the frame, stops water ingress.

dodgy

Saddle bum said:
Fit an "O-ring" over the seat tube where it disappears into the frame, stops water ingress.

Piece of old inner tube is good for that. Before I had a removable muddguard on my MTB, I used to have a piece over the interface between seatpost and frame.

OP
OP
P

penster

Can I doublecheck the WD40 issue? I tend to liberally spray it over chain, brakes, mechs to displace water and prevent rust. Is that OK?
Mick

02GF74

Über Member
note that wiping down a frame over time will scratch it as there will be bits of grime picked up by the cloth.

better off let it dry naturally.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
'Sealed bearings' mean they are sealed from human interference (also known as 'adjustment' in some circles).

They are certainly not sealed against water ingress. Otherwise the more expensive versions wouldn't use stainless steel - why use a material like that if it will never get wet?

Jonathan M

ASC1951 said:

But youshouldn't wash the bike upside down as that will drive water into the headset lower race.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Wet ride................ wash bike with soap and water (car wash) not kitchen liquid - i.e fairy liquid (strips wax off frames - that is if you ever polish the frame)........

Let dry, re-lube chain, let dry and then wipe off excess...

That's the daily bike...

TBH Mr Sheen (original) is one of the best things to clean a bike with, and it helps stop sh1t sticking cos it contains silicone...and it's quick and easy...and cheap......and it is good...............

And I've been using it since year dot.........

I think all the attention may do more harm than good!

WD40 will remove the lubricant (bad)
Water sprayed under any force will be pushed into any gap and sit there to rust away your bike or seaze up the joint at the least.
Blocking up your seat post will keep whatever water is in there still in there instead of drying out.

OK so you have lots of salt on the road in winter and wet road crud (acidic) eating away at your pride and joy but are you making it worse?

I am lazy and just wipe it over while the dirt is still wet when I remember to or leave it to next time if I do not. Bike lives next to boiler so stays warm and dry.
Paint brush is good for just getting dusty crud off too as it gets in the gaps.

Top Bottom