Cleaning oil off jerseys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
My main two commuting jerseys have got black oily marks at the bottom left of them - I think it's safe to assume this comes from when I've carried my bike up stairs holding it to my left, so the chain has rubbed against my jersey.

It's not too big a deal, but I can't seem to properly clean the stuff off. One of my jerseys, a nice red Rapha top, can only be washed at 30 degrees.

I've tried soaking them, but it hasn't made much of a difference.

Any tips, apart from stop carrying my bike over my left shoulder?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
You could try a solvent based spot remover or something like a dry cleaning fluid. Some of the good ones, like trike, have been banned. Isopropyl alcohol may do the trick.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Interesting i got a new jersey and then picked the bike up and chainringed it :ohmy: after maybe 10 washes with stain remover you can still see marks , would the white spirit get it out now?

Manonabike

Über Member
I've used degreaser in the past with great results BUT both times I have done it within hours of me making a mess of my jersey :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My problem tends to be waterproofs getting oil on them.

Mad at urage

THAT I think I'll get! Not really too keen on rubbing white spirit into expensive clothes!

Also be good at removing the grease from the top step in my hallway on the odd occasion I've put my bike down a bit ...quickly :ohmy:

Ooh they are based in Derby! ... OH WAIT
Err ... can you actually buy this stuff in the UK?

EDIT Yes you can!
Hmmm... :hello: re. the bold ... Have you read the safety data sheet? :whistle:

INGREDIENT CAS # %by Weight
Acetone 67-64-1 5-10%
Methyl Acetate 79-20-9 70-90%
Liquefied Petroleum Gas 68476-86-8 10-30%

Inhalation: Inhalation of vapors may cause central nervous system damage. Vapor may produce anesthetic effects and feeling of euphoria.
FIRST AID:
Ingestion- Aspiration hazard. Do not induce vomiting or give anything by mouth.
Inhalation:
If respiratory symptoms or other symptoms of exposure develop, move victim away from source of exposure and into fresh air. If symptoms persist, seek immediate medical attention.
Skin:
Remove contaminated clothing and flush affected area with large amounts of water. IF skin surface is damaged, apply a clean dressing and seek medical attention.
Eye: Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 min., Get Medical attention immediately.
Potential Health Effects: Eye: Eye irritant. Skin: Skin irritant. Inhalation: Low degree of toxicity by inhalation. Ingestion: Low degree of toxicity by ingestion.

Take care with that :wacko: !

Top Bottom