Clearing blocked ears.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Our local surgery does not do wax removal, they do however give you the telephone number of somebody the know that does it for only £80.

Slioch

Guru
Not all GP practices remove earwax

My local GP surgery didn't have the necessary equipment to sort my ear out, but they booked an appointment for me at another surgery a few miles away, where they must "centralise" ear stuff for a number of local surgeries. Probably a much more efficient way of doing things, so no complaints from me.
The nurse who did my procedure must spend her life cleaning out peoples ears. Not sure whether I could do that xx(

I was given a similar warning, although it was a very low-key one. I would assume the risks are very low and they are just covering their backs.
The new pressure washer thingy, as you say, is a huge improvement over the old method. Just a wee tickling sensation and totally pain free.

Our local doc now uses a mini vacuum cleaner.

Last time I went I apparently nearly broke it.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Not all practice nurses have been on the course for ear syringing which is probably why some surgeries do not do it. Only one of our nurses is qualified for this procedure. Some can only do a limited range of procedures anyway such as some injections need appropriate staff.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The blockage probably isn't on the outside so dropping anything into the ear will not make any difference. Inflammation in the throat blocks the Eustachian tube which connects the back of the throat with the middle ear, allowing air pressure on either side of the eardrum to equalise. Air on the inside then gets absorbed and the eardrum gets 'splinted' in place by external pressure. Decongestants may help relieve the blockage.

This is correct; it's nothing to do with exterior wax. After a cold your Eustachian tubes get blocked with gunk and you can't equalise the pressure inside and outside your eardrum, which causes it to bulge, suppressing sounds. Time will clear it but in the meantime try the same techniques you use for clearing your ears when descending in an aircraft; yawning, pinching your nose and blowing and generally waggling your jaw around. When doing the nose pinch, steady prolonged pressure is better for getting the stuff moving than a sudden blast. You could try ibuprofen, which might reduce inflammation in your throat and ears and allow the blockage to clear.

Climbing a mountain might clear it too as the pressure drops.

My local doctors surgery in Bristol said they no longer syringe ears and that I would have to pay privately to have it done.
£60 later.....all seems ok.
One ear does seem to be better than the other,but maybe thats down to my age

OldShep

Über Member

PK99

Legendary Member
Found this on the NHS site.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/earwax-build-up/

alarmed to see this lower down that page.

@@@

Not all GP practices remove earwax

Some can:

• flush the wax out with water (ear irrigation)
  • suck the wax out (microsuction)
These treatments are usually painless. You might have to pay to have them done privately.

@@@@

You might have to go private to get your ears unblocked?

What the hell have we come to?

Am sure my childhood Lancashire GP would be aghast.

Many GPs have stopped removing earwax as the risks outweigh the benefits and it was a major source of complaints and claims. Softening with olive oil will allow natural removal.

An elderly friend had his tonsils removed by the GP on the kitchen table - just cos something was done in your childhood does not mean it was a good thing then or now.

Slioch

Guru
I can't see that ear wax would be fussy about olive oil... What's it gonna say - "I am not going to soften for any old oil - use extra virgin or don't bother!"? :laugh:

We're aspirational middle class, so of course only extra virgin olive oil is acceptable, and only then if purchased at extortionate cost from a poncy deli.
Ordinary olive oil is for the great unwashed.
:laugh:

Top Bottom