Clearing blocked ears.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ffs £60 :laugh:
40 years ago I used a fairy liquid bottle sitting in the bath then I upgraded to seeing a nurse. Our surgery now has a nurse that can’t do ears. I went on her day:angry: 20 ml trip for nothing, so I went on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EAR-SYRI...R-WAX-AND-DEBRIS-LARGE-CAPACITY-/163142018974
Brilliant bit of kit and the pleasure of seeing all that crud in the basin is very satisfying.

That's what I used, although the local chemist sells it with a bottle of Hydrogen peroxide to soften the wax up first. When the stuff lands in the sink you realise why you couldn't hear before...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think that my ears are well overdue for de-waxing!

Both ears feel bunged up and I am even harder of hearing than usual.

My left ear buzzes with loud noises, but it doesn't do it if I pull the earlobe down. I think there is probably some wax in the ear very close to the ear drum and tugging the lobe pulls it far enough away not to make contact.

I can no longer hear the ticking noise that my phone makes for every move in Minesweeper.

I am turning the TV sound up higher than I was a few weeks ago.

I'm struggling with conversations if there is any background noise.

I haven't got any hydrogen peroxide so I'll try some aspiring-to middle-class extra-virgin olive oil first and see how I get on with that.

Ffs £60 :laugh:
40 years ago I used a fairy liquid bottle sitting in the bath then I upgraded to seeing a nurse. Our surgery now has a nurse that can’t do ears. I went on her day:angry: 20 ml trip for nothing, so I went on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EAR-SYRI...R-WAX-AND-DEBRIS-LARGE-CAPACITY-/163142018974
Brilliant bit of kit and the pleasure of seeing all that crud in the basin is very satisfying.
Wondering about your avatar. Says can be used for dog whelping, whatever that is. Also lice and nits.

Many GPs have stopped removing earwax as the risks outweigh the benefits and it was a major source of complaints and claims. Softening with olive oil will allow natural removal.

An elderly friend had his tonsils removed by the GP on the kitchen table - just cos something was done in your childhood does not mean it was a good thing then or now.
What do you mean by "natural removal"? Does it just come out after the oiling with no further action needed?

Am not suggesting a return of the old horse/cake decorating syringe, scary they were, but effective if you survived. I well remember all the junk they cleared. But how risky are those modern machines? They do seem very tightly controlled.

Last edited:
I think that my ears are well overdue for de-waxing!

Both ears feel bunged up and I am even harder of hearing than usual.

My left ear buzzes with loud noises, but it doesn't do it if I pull the earlobe down. I think there is probably some wax in the ear very close to the ear drum and tugging the lobe pulls it far enough away not to make contact.

I can no longer hear the ticking noise that my phone makes for every move in Minesweeper.

I am turning the TV sound up higher than I was a few weeks ago.

I'm struggling with conversations if there is any background noise.

I haven't got any hydrogen peroxide so I'll try some aspiring-to middle-class extra-virgin olive oil first and see how I get on with that.

Ah, a guinea pig. Do report back colin.

Globalti

Legendary Member
BLOCKED EUSTACHIAN TUBES HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH WAX IN THE EAR - Did you hear that? By all means get your ears syringed (it's quite enjoyable and there are plenty of opportunities for some smutty innuendo with the nurse) but that won't help if you've had a cold and can't equalise the pressure.

Top Bottom